Is it a comic?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Sween

Is it a comic?

Post by Sween »

Hi everybody, I'm new here. Been getting back into comics after about 25 years!

Do you remember the Ancestral Trail in the early 90's? It was issued fortnightly. Probably the first time I was really sucked into a story and was amazed by the art. I think I was utterly amazed by Judge Dread after that... Anyway, is the Ancestral Trail strictly a comic? Or would be classed as something different?

Adam Eterno

Re: Is it a comic?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hi Sween

It's funny that you bring this up as I had never heard of it until this week when I saw this on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Ancestra ... Sw7z1aAatP

It looks more of a magazine than a comic but I'd have to see inside to be more sure. Looks like there was a card game of some form attached as well which again makes it more of a magazine. Was it like Yu Gi Oh?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It's more of an attempt to make more money out of an old PC game which was new when the magazine was coming out. It's one of the earliest part works to attempt to cash in on the growing fantasy community. And I don't mean the ones that involves you and your favourite acting person either! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:And I don't mean the ones that involve you and your favourite acting person either! :lol:
Not more fantasies about Diana Rigg, please Col. I was sure you would have outgrown all those by now. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:And I don't mean the ones that involve you and your favourite acting person either! :lol:
Not more fantasies about Diana Rigg, please Col. I was sure you would have outgrown all those by now. :)
:lol: You're out by more than a decade. Catherine Bach and Heather Locklear were more my speed! :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Catherine Bach and Heather Locklear were more my speed!
In what sense are you using the word 'speed'? Is it some kind of modern street jargon used in your current neck of the woods up there in Bonnie Scotland? I assume it has nothing to do with drugs, nor your running ability, which you might need to call upon should you clap eyes on either lady walking briskly along some street or other in Fife.

I don't know very much about Heather Locklear but I am well acquainted with Catherine Bach's portrayal of Daisy Duke in The Dukes Of Hazzard. My son Andrew certainly fancied her at the time. He has the first season on DVD, and may have other seasons with him in London. She must be in her sixties by now though, but she'll never grow older on the DVDs.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

For me it's Gabrielle Drake in UFO. Deanna Lund in Land of the Giants and Maddie Smith in anything.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Seven of Nine..........

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Seven of Nine..........
Yes, but she never revealed where exactly the other two were, did she? :lol:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:For me it's Gabrielle Drake in UFO.
I remember her mainly for her role in The Brothers.

SID

Post by SID »

stevezodiac wrote:For me it's Gabrielle Drake in UFO. Deanna Lund in Land of the Giants and Maddie Smith in anything.
No arguments about Land of the Giants, but I preferred Ayeshea in UFO.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I feel so old reading some of these preferences, in fact, I'm not sure who some of them are. Gabrielle Drake in UFO, no problem, but digging around in my sieve like memory, I trawled up some of the actresses, or more likely the parts they played, that I admired at the time. I am the Diana Rigg fan, as far as the Mrs. Peel character is concerned, but there were a few views of Mrs. Gale's superstructure in early Avengers episodes that put her on the list. No-one has mentioned Alexandra Bastedo in The Champions, shome mishtake shurely?
As a keen watcher of Doctor Who - right from the very start, I took a great delight in watching Wendy Padbury as Zoe, as she scrambled up slopes 'n' that.
And, in spite of the weight of years, and the medication, I always have had and always will have, a fondness for Elizabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. As my pal Vince said recently, "That David Tennent episode, School Reunion, still brings a tear to the eye"

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, Zoe was amazing. Doctor Who must have been one of the first British TV shows to feature female characters who were beautiful, sexy AND formidably clever!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Gabrielle Drake
I think I'm right in saying that the musician Nick Drake was her brother.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Servalan in Blakes 7, not entirely sure why, but there you go.