Beano repair

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

mikebowser

Beano repair

Post by mikebowser »

Hi does anyone know where I can get reproduction spines and pages for my Beano annuals

stevezodiac

Re: Beano repair

Post by stevezodiac »

In a Tom Paterson Calamity James strip you might see a factory in the background with a sign saying TOWN BEANO ANNUAL REPAIRS FACTORY but I doubt such an entity exists in the real world. I once had a Man From Uncle Annual with a page missing. I obtained a second copy and photocopied both sides of the missing page from the good copy and then stuck the two copies together making one double sided page and, at the same time, achieved the same thickness as the annual page. If it is an old annual it won't have the shiny cover so would be a bit easier to reproduce. I'd print off the relevant cover images from the net and stick them on to cardboard to achieve a rough approximation of a cover. If would be fun to try. You can buy sheets of sticky plastic that would give the glossy effect.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Your best bet is to look for local book binders and see how much they would quote for the repair. I know there are three within an hour's driving of me up here in Scotland as a friend has an issue with one of his books and I helped him to look for them.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I did mean to reply to this a while ago.

At one point I was making some repro spines for all the Dandy/Beano books up to when they became laminated, I got as far as producing the graphics exact size for professional offset printing that would then be sized with correct plain card inserts added so all the buyer would have to do is glue direct into the spine gutters (or lift the remaining cover slightly to slip underneath), giving a really nice end product.

Colours ranging from 'as new' to 'faded worn'. Having then priced them up I found I'd have to sell a helluva lot of them to cover costs.

I was basing it on the proviso that I couldn't see anyone paying more than, say, £10 a spine?

Obviously it'll be a LOT cheaper to just laser print - but the results just aren't as appealing.