The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by SID »

Went into my local WHSmith today and saw a few copies between 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Seth

Post by Seth »

Hi everyone,

So I picked this up the other day and was reasonably excited to read it. I gave it a shot, but I really, really, really didn't like the direction of travel Rebellion has set for these legacy characters. What had originally made these characters popular wasn't there aping of the american superhero genre or its tropes (leopard asode), but their own peculiar premises, and somewhat whimsical plotting (emblematic of many a boys adventure strip from the period). Another gritty 'mature readers' expansive universe, ala American DC really wasn't the greatest move. Perhaps this speaks to why this book has failed to resonate with fans of the original material, a disconnect between nostalgia and what Rebellion think is commercially possible when looking out over their expanded catalogue of characters; held against their american counterparts who could blame them for this attempt, but personally I thought it was lazy and lacked imagination.

Rebellion, like all publishers maintain a certain responsibility to ensure the comic medium continues, if only to ensure their own returns- why could they not have utilised these characters to introduce younger readers to comic books? I'm not suggesting a 'watered down' book out of step with the current vouge for more sophisticated story telling and narrative, but really, does the industry need yet another dark 'superhero' universe aimed squarely at a mature audience?

Seth

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Seth wrote:Hi everyone,

So I picked this up the other day and was reasonably excited to read it. I gave it a shot, but I really, really, really didn't like the direction of travel Rebellion has set for these legacy characters. What had originally made these characters popular wasn't there aping of the american superhero genre or its tropes (leopard asode), but their own peculiar premises, and somewhat whimsical plotting (emblematic of many a boys adventure strip from the period). Another gritty 'mature readers' expansive universe, ala American DC really wasn't the greatest move. Perhaps this speaks to why this book has failed to resonate with fans of the original material, a disconnect between nostalgia and what Rebellion think is commercially possible when looking out over their expanded catalogue of characters; held against their american counterparts who could blame them for this attempt, but personally I thought it was lazy and lacked imagination.

Rebellion, like all publishers maintain a certain responsibility to ensure the comic medium continues, if only to ensure their own returns- why could they not have utilised these characters to introduce younger readers to comic books? I'm not suggesting a 'watered down' book out of step with the current vouge for more sophisticated story telling and narrative, but really, does the industry need yet another dark 'superhero' universe aimed squarely at a mature audience?

Seth
Simple answer: they're a business, they are there to make money so they need to appeal to the audience that already exists, and most comics readers nowadays are adults who are primarily into American superheroes. Kids don't really read comics these days, so there's little point in creating comics in the traditional mould which simply would not find an audience. Anyway, I was a fan of the original material, and this certainly succeeded for me...

starscape

Post by starscape »

Never managed to find a copy I'm afraid.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I picked up the digital edition. To be honest, I’m underwhelmed, but I’m allowed to be.

Anorak783

Post by Anorak783 »

I'm very much with Seth on this one. I slapped down my £2.99 simply to encourage Rebellion to keep on releasing fresh British comics (which they seem to be doing with Sniper Elite) but the story aped the typical American superhero group format to such an extent that I thought "Why bother?".

Yes, it makes commercial sense update things for a modern audience, but if there is nothing to differentiate itself from other products on the shelves then I would suggest that it's long-term prospects are not good.

<mild spoilers follow>

The Adam Eterno retcon was too similar to what Alan Moore did with Swamp Thing (and totally unnecessary imho) but the one thing I did like was the way they tied the Blake Edmonds featurette into British comics lore. Perhaps moving the characters around within various parts of the British comics universe could give it the distinction that was lacking from the main story whilst also appealing to the American market with the super-team format.