Story from a Horror comic, late 70s / early 80s

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

maxnutter

Story from a Horror comic, late 70s / early 80s

Post by maxnutter »

Hello, I was wondering if I could please pick your collective brains and see if you can identify an old story I remember reading?

It was in an issue of a Vault of Horror/Tales From The Crypt type comic in the late 70s/the early 80s, and I am trying to track it down.

The story centers around a honeymooning couple who are on an ocean cruise liner. Everything is going fine until the crew of the ship pick up a survivor in a lifeboat. This survivor is infected with some kind of virus/disease which is spread by contact with another person and compels the infected individual to pass it on to any uninfected in proximity (similar to the Crossed virus, or the Rage virus). It also mutates the infected to a (slightly) larger size and makes them ugly (oversized forehead, deep set eyes, like the Hulk, or Ben Grimm).

The newlyweds manage to barricade themselves in their cabin until they are the only ones uninfected, but as the infected try to break in, they decide to climb out of the window and take their chances in the sea. The husband manages to climb outside, but as his wife is climbing through the window the infected break in and someone grabs her ankle, passing the virus to her, and the husband is forced to abandon her.

I'm pretty sure it was in B&W, but the memory is dim; it was almost 40 years ago and I only read it once, I didn't own the comic!

Bit of a long shot, I know, but if you have any ideas or know anywhere I could search for it, I'd really appreciate it.