Owd Bob and Black Bob

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Owd Bob and Black Bob

Post by colcool007 »

I have just discovered the book Owd Bob by Alfred Ollivant and I am struck by the similarities with Black Bob. Does anyone here know if Owd Bob was an inspiration for our intrepid D C Thomson writers? And if so, would you care to enlighten the rest of us?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Hawkeye

Re: Owd Bob and Black Bob

Post by Hawkeye »

colcool007 wrote:I have just discovered the book Owd Bob by Alfred Ollivant and I am struck by the similarities with Black Bob. Does anyone here know if Owd Bob was an inspiration for our intrepid D C Thomson writers? And if so, would you care to enlighten the rest of us?
Don't know about the inspiration for Black Bob, but it seems there have been at least 3 films made of Owd Bob. I think I may have seen part of an early one some time ago.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

colcool007 wrote:I have just discovered the book Owd Bob by Alfred Ollivant and I am struck by the similarities with Black Bob. Does anyone here know if Owd Bob was an inspiration for our intrepid D C Thomson writers? And if so, would you care to enlighten the rest of us?
Hi Col, Kelman Frost, who wrote all the early Black Bob stories was asked to come up with the initial story in 1944 by the Dandy editor at the time John Low, brother of R D Low the managing editor of all Thomson's juvenile output. It was certainly commissioned in response to the success of the film version of Eric Knight's 'Lassie Come-Home' but whether Frost or Low took elements from other sources including Ollivant's 'Owd Bob' is, sadly, lost in the mists of time but there are, of course, similarities.

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

As well as at least four film versions, there was an American Owd Bob comic book under the title Bob, Son of Battle, published by Dell Comics as a one-shot, issue #729 of their Four Color series.

More details are at the Wikipedia Owd Bob page.

The comic book, by Gaylord DuBois and Mike Sekowsky, can be read at http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=37780