The year in review?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Richard S.

The year in review?

Post by Richard S. »

Checking back over my detailed wants list I see that in 2018 I got my wants figure down to 484 issues (from 691) - so that's 207 comics purchased and I completed 7 sets of comics - Galaxy Rangers, VR Troopers 3D, Red Dagger, Super Sports, Collectors edition [Gerry Anderson reprints] Crisis and Battle with Storm Force. I also acquired plenty of other reprint volumes, annuals, fanzines and the like.

I also continued to blog on a daily basis and got my work published in Comic Scene.

A pretty good year then - how was yours?
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Adam Eterno

Re: The year in review?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Richard S. wrote:Checking back over my detailed wants list I see that in 2018 I got my wants figure down to 484 issues (from 691) - so that's 207 comics purchased and I completed 7 sets of comics - Galaxy Rangers, VR Troopers 3D, Red Dagger, Super Sports, Collectors edition [Gerry Anderson reprints] Crisis and Battle with Storm Force. I also acquired plenty of other reprint volumes, annuals, fanzines and the like.

I also continued to blog on a daily basis and got my work published in Comic Scene.

A pretty good year then - how was yours?
A pretty good year for me too!

7 sets is great going and I read your blog most mornings.
For me, firstly, I found Charley's War which I'd never read and really loved.

I completed sets of Hurricane, Starblazer, Jet, Dracula Lives and Red Dagger as well as getting very close to completing sets of Bullet, Jag, Thunder and Spiderman Weekly. I also doubled my number of Smash and Wham comics to get a little nearer to completing those sets.

I continued to improve the quality of my Commando collection, picked up over 50 Summer Specials and another 150+ additional British #1s including Adventure, Blue Bird, Ally Sloper's Half Holiday, Rover, Topper, Eagle, Wizard (both), John Wayne and TV Tornado along with by far my biggest purchase of the year, and ever, Beano #1.

A great, if expensive year but my hobby has given, and continues to give, me immense pleasure so here's to a similar 2019 for all of us!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The year has been a curate's egg for me.

I have brought my wants list for Commando down from over 600 at the start of the year to a deal, once complete, where I will need less than 300 to complete the run.

I have lifted my Fleetway PL collection from less than 500 to over 1000.

I have gone from one Ranger annual to a full run of the weekly comic and two of the free gifts.

I met Mike Dorey and he turned out to be a real gent.

I managed to discover two issues of Commando which were illustrated by Cam Kennedy and another issue illustrated by Jim Watson that we were not aware of.

I am doing a deal with Joan Boix that could snaffle me a page of original Phantom art.

And I am going to be third Nazi from the right in one of Carlos Pino's Commandos.

I have had articles published which I have been paid for. Nothing that will allow me to take up a jet set life-style, but it's still nice to know that my articles are good enough to put a few coppers in my pocket.

Unfortunately like any year, it has been marred by the loss of many creatives. From John Armstrong and Carlos Ezquerra to Stan Lee, it's been hard to lose people who have been part of my cultural background since I was first able to understand what one was!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

colcool007 wrote:The year has been a curate's egg for me.

I have brought my wants list for Commando down from over 600 at the start of the year to a deal, once complete, where I will need less than 300 to complete the run.

I have lifted my Fleetway PL collection from less than 500 to over 1000.

I have gone from one Ranger annual to a full run of the weekly comic and two of the free gifts.

I met Mike Dorey and he turned out to be a real gent.

I managed to discover two issues of Commando which were illustrated by Cam Kennedy and another issue illustrated by Jim Watson that we were not aware of.

I am doing a deal with Joan Boix that could snaffle me a page of original Phantom art.

And I am going to be third Nazi from the right in one of Carlos Pino's Commandos.

I have had articles published which I have been paid for. Nothing that will allow me to take up a jet set life-style, but it's still nice to know that my articles are good enough to put a few coppers in my pocket.

Unfortunately like any year, it has been marred by the loss of many creatives. From John Armstrong and Carlos Ezquerra to Stan Lee, it's been hard to lose people who have been part of my cultural background since I was first able to understand what one was!
That sounds awesome!