MYTECK OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

I remember buying a comic in the 70's which I am sure was British which featured a cover story about a Giant Robot Ape which had been stolen and was being controlled by someone from a room inside the apes head. The ape whilst created for good, was being used for bad!!!! Does any remember the name of this comic...is it Vulcan and what I remember is Myteck or is it a different comic. No one seems to remember it...it may have been shortlived.

Originally posted by Happyjacksdad on the old forum on 5/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Yes, Mytek the Mighty (note correct spelling if you search for more refs). In Vulcan, reprinted from Valiant. Was only on cover as a big picture, the story started on page 2 of Vulcan.

Originally posted by Bill on the old forum on 5/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

This website has a French translation of it but plenty of images. Is this the character you mean?
http://kingkongbd.free.fr/episodes.htm

Originally posted by Bill on the old forum on 5/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Some good info here too.
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/m/mytek.htm

Originally posted by Bill on the old forum on 6/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Thanks for the reply. It does seem to be Vulcan (the dwarf rings a bell), but i was thrown because I bought only a handful before the newsagent said it was discontinued, but Vulcan appears to have gone on longer than I thought...not sure what went on there! I will have to track one down and see if it matches my memory... I'm sure the Trigan Empire was in as well

Originally posted by Anonymous on the old forum on 6/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Ah the old newsagent excuse of "They've stopped making that comic". Haven't heard that for years. What it usually meant was comics had gone from "sale or return" to "firm sale" so some newsagents drop their orders so they aren't left with unsolds. Some newsagents used to tell kids comics had "stopped" when the truth was it was the newsagent who had stopped ordering it.

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 7/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Ahhh, it all makes sense now. I must have carried the innocence of my childhood into adult life. It never crossed my mind I was being conned. I was devastated as well, because I remember it being the best thing I'd ever read at the time...but I was 9!!!

Originally posted by Happyjacksdad on the old forum on 7/2/2006