Return of the summer special

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Return of the summer special

Post by Lew Stringer »

Well this is a surprise. After many years, the 2000AD Sci-Fi Special is back next week. See the preview at the FP blog:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2 ... i-special/

Perhaps it won't be the only summer special back this year.

Michael Anden

Re: Return of the summer special

Post by Michael Anden »

This is great news, looks like a top read and some cracking art. I have reservations about their continued bullshit 70s-era objectivication of women- extra female readers wouldn't hurt sales and Rebellion's ability to branch out their comics line (if Fay Dalton's a woman, that doesn't change my point- great talent there, so why the 'tits oot for the lads' Judge Anderson?). High horse off-gotten now!

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Enjoyed the nostalgia of going down to the newsagents today to reserve my copy.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Wow, this has taken me by surprise. I think the last special 2000 ad released was a Winter special that showcased new talent many years ago. Will definitely look out for this. Who knows... maybe we'll eventually see a proper annual back again, although the 2000 ad xmas format issue would challenge that concept. We can hope, still.

SID

Post by SID »

Got a copy yesterday and I must say I loved it. I liked the fact that Tharg used new droids to produce the strips.

Wouldn't it be great if Rebellion took the plunge and produced a whole new comic - separate from 2000AD? Either with a new set of characters or, even better, getting whatever IPC/DCT characters they can get their hands on and use them.

Yes, I know. Old pipe-dream but it is still a dream.

Come on you Strip publishers, get your finger out and get that comic out there. :up:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Why does the article state that this Sci-Fi Special is being produced "some 13 years after the last one"? As far as I know, the last one was published in 1996.

Billythecat

Post by Billythecat »

Lew Stringer wrote:Well this is a surprise. After many years, the 2000AD Sci-Fi Special is back next week. See the preview at the FP blog:

I am going to my local coastal town tomorrow for the specific purpose of reading this!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Billythecat wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:Well this is a surprise. After many years, the 2000AD Sci-Fi Special is back next week. See the preview at the FP blog:

I am going to my local coastal town tomorrow for the specific purpose of reading this!
Sitting on a deckchair, with Punch and Judy in the background I hope. :D
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Billythecat

Post by Billythecat »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Billythecat wrote:

Sitting on a deckchair, with Punch and Judy in the background I hope. :D

Imagery that cannot help but make me smile at years gone by and the comics that marked them Lew.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Billythecat wrote: I am going to my local coastal town tomorrow for the specific purpose of reading this!
Wear a knotted handkerchief on your head.

Billythecat

Post by Billythecat »

Well Saturday was indeed Summer special day-celebrated in my local coastal town Newcastle County Down Norn Iron. The sun rose to the occasion supplying the most vivid summer special imagery amid food and ice-cream aplenty.

I even have sunburn.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

tony ingram wrote:Why does the article state that this Sci-Fi Special is being produced "some 13 years after the last one"? As far as I know, the last one was published in 1996.
Both Comics UK and Comic Vine agree. Could be that someone misread some shorthand when typing the article? After all, it's actually 18 years, and a scruffily written 8 can be mistaken for a 3.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Hopefully the hardback annuals will return now as well not the soft back ones but any format will be better than none.

SID

Post by SID »

Ahhh! Summer Specials whilst on your summer holiday in the UK (preferably on the coast). Those were the days. :cheers:
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

bought this from my local newsagent - always has a few copies of 2000 ad on the rack every week but really didn't expect to see the summer special there. I've lost faith in my local WH Smith - you're very lucky to find an issue of 2000 ad nowadays. Really thought I would have to buy a copy off ebay. Strangely, I haven't seen one available on ebay yet. Anyway, managed to get round to reading it after a week. Judge Dredd is a dark/light hearted tale that I enjoyed; Robo-Hunter is supposedly a comic farce, which I didn't enjoy. For some reason, they keep trying to resurrect this character and its former glory and they keep failing. Durham Red was an interesting tale with a gruesome twist at the end. The Future Shock was so-so. Orlok was another so-so. And, finally, Rogue Trooper was a little better than Robo-Hunter but I can't see the potential for another outing. All in all, I'd give it 6/10. Hopefully, it won't be another 18 years before we see another special.