Tweak -remember him?

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Muffy

Tweak -remember him?

Post by Muffy »

One of the most moving stories I ever read (when very young) was the story of Tweak in issue 81 and 82 of 2000ad (part of the Cursed Earth story). See sample image for Brian Bolland's artwork of Pat Mills' tale, it really showed how truly evil some humans can be.

In Prog 85 Tweak says on being sent back to his home planet, "Goodbye, Judge Dreddd, perhaps we'll meeett again one day" Does anyone know if they ever did meet again :?:

philcom55

Re: Tweak -remember him?

Post by philcom55 »

Great stuff! I don't think he ever returned, apart from the odd new cover illustration, etc. Looking at that excerpt, though, it's strange how much he reminds me of a grown-up Shaun the Sheep! :D

- Phil Rushton

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Ah, Tweak-they don't make 'em like him anymore! I do like the Cursed earth storyline, just Dredd riding from one mad encounter to another with Tweak and Spikes Harvey Rotten at his side. Then, of course, he returned to the Big meg and teamed up with the hulking Fergee to overthrow Judge Cal. Dredd always seems to work well with these rather odd allies who are totally unlike him.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the CURSED EARTH was always one of the most eccentric, framented DREDD epics, but this is when I felt the strip started getting really great, with the 'banned ' episodes adding to the anarchy throughout.

I agree that there was great effective tragedy and pathos in the 'tweak' section. [He/she was ultra-intelligent and had to act 'unintelligent' around the human scientists, if I remember.]

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's Bolland's Tweak making a brief reappearance for Titan's first reprint:

Dredd, Spikes, Tweak (and two Judges who wouldn't be around for much longer) enjoying a brief moment's R&R in the Cursed Earth.

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

still great, timeless artwork from Brian.

SID

Post by SID »

I agree that the Cursed Earth epic was one of the best. :)

I was sad when they killed off poor Judge Jack.

And as far as I know, Tweak and Dredd have never reunited.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

SID wrote:I agree that the Cursed Earth epic was one of the best. :)

I was sad when they killed off poor Judge Jack.

And as far as I know, Tweak and Dredd have never reunited.
I was rather attached to Judge Jack, too. We're probably the only fans the poor guy ever had...