DREDD (2012)

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

PaulTwist

DREDD (2012)

Post by PaulTwist »

Blimey. There's a film on general release about one of the most popular British comics characters of all time - and we're NOT discussing it on Comics UK?! (Apologies if there's a thread on another sub-forum I've missed.)

So... DREDD is in cinemas! I haven't seen it yet (it's proving a hard sell to the fiancee, especially in the week running up to our wedding when we should be doing other, more productive things) but most reviews so far seem very positive indeed. I can't wait!

Anyone here seen it yet? Anyone plan to see it? Anyone put off by the 18-rated levels of violence (it must be PRETTY brutal to get an 18 these days)? Let's discuss!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: DREDD (2012)

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It's only avaiable in 3D in my neck of the woods---that's why I ain't seen it yet, coz I think 3-D technology is still in a poor, primitive state, with a 'too-dark', annoyingly gimmicky outlook.

But, if 3-D is the only option by the end of this film's run, I will likely grit my teeth and bear it.

Best of British in your 'productive' wedding duties, Paul!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

PaulTwist wrote:especially in the week running up to our wedding
Congratulations on that. :D

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:It's only avaiable in 3D in my neck of the woods---that's why I ain't seen it yet, coz I think 3-D technology is still in a poor, primitive state, with a 'too-dark', annoyingly gimmicky outlook.

But, if 3-D is the only option by the end of this film's run, I will likely grit my teeth and bear it.

Best of British in your 'productive' wedding duties, Paul!
It seems the 2D version is getting a very limited release, sadly. Normally I'd choose a 2D screening over 3D, but I am so, so eager to see Dredd that I'll put up with the extra faff and expense!

Here's a link of the cinemas that ARE showing Dredd in 2D - there aren't many, and even the ones that are showing it don't seem to have many screenings:

http://film.list.co.uk/article/45206-dr ... nd-the-uk/

(And thanks to both you and Digifiend for the best wishes... been planned for 18 months but starting to feel very 'real' now! Me blathering on about wanting to see a comic book film that she has NO interest in probably isn't helping matters either! :lol: )

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Paul, tell your fiancée that the two of you need to get your heads showered and escape each other's in-laws for a few hours! I'm already planning an evening completely off in the week before Jo and I get married in February, just to stop us going insane.

Michael McAdam, the managing director of Movie House Cinemas in NI reviews films on U105 (local radio station owned by UTV Radio in the home of UTV) each Thursday morning, and he watched Dredd in advance in the one cinema in the chain which doesn't have a 3D projector! Interestingly, he was also a market leader when he abolished the premium for watching a 3D film a few years ago.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

We're going to go on Wednesday with Orange Wednesday. I was going to go today but had kittens when I saw the price for one ticket!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Paul: many thanks for providing info to the 2-D screenings of this new DREDD. It looks like it will have to be a 3-D job, and I will comply.

The 18 certificate intruigues me: what's the score here then?

django

Post by django »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:The 18 certificate intruigues me: what's the score here then?
The 18 certificate is for violence (and quite a bit of swearing and a brief sexual situation), it's an incredibly violent action film and it's pretty unrelenting for most of the running time. I loved it!, it's a cracking action film and I thought they got Dredd spot on, you don't see a lot of Mega City 1 but that's presumably for budgetary reasons!. Btw, the new issue of the Megazine (out on Wednesday) is a movie special and features a comic strip prequel and quite a few features on the film!.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sounds well worth seeing, django: I will likely go this week.

Wish they had used 'drokk!' and 'Stomm!' instead of our-time swearing, though.....

Anorak783

Post by Anorak783 »

I wish the film companies would take into account how many people have some form of defective vision and can't see in 3D properly.

Judging from the people I talk to, there seems to be quite a few - in my case it was probably a result from reading too many comics when I was a kid...

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I know somebody with only one working eye, I wonder what 3D looks like for her... well I suppose I could always close one and try it. She ought to get away with only paying 2D prices!

SID

Post by SID »

My other half has promised to take me on Saturday as a treat. Fingers crossed. :xfingers:

I have also read the prequel in Judge Dredd Megazine 328 entitled "Top of the World, Ma-Ma." Good. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Post by SID »

Well I watched Dredd 3D last Saturday as promised (though it turned out my other half's version of "treating me" is coming along to watch it with me rather than paying - very kind :)).

I thought it was good. Unlike the Stallone version, Dredd WAS Dredd in my book (with helmet staying on at ALL times) and although not a fantastic story, I thought was a good solid one. A good way of introducing the character to the film audience. Hopefully sequels will be made.

The only disappointment I had was the city itself. I did think that the city depicted in the Stallone movie was more like the comic.

But apart from that, really good. :up:
Last edited by SID on 20 Sep 2012, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I saw it yesterday and was really surprised how much I liked it. The pared-down script was really effective, and while the vision of Mega-City One was less exotic than in the comics - presumably allowing them to use modern-day locations at much less cost - I thought it added to the architectural brutalism of the mega-blocks. And, for once, the 3D worked - especially in the slow-motion climax!

Weirdly enough the whole thing struck me as an unlikely cross between 'The Wire' and 'Mr A'. :shock:

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes I thought it was modestly-mounted, Phil, but overall a decent stab at the Dredd legacy. Still miles from the lush splendour of the vintage comics, but certainly worth a look.....