JUDGE DREDD the MEGAZINE

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Re: JUDGE DREDD the MEGAZINE

Post by SID »

Digifiend wrote:Of course, it isn't just that Rebellion had no Dandy competitor, DC Thomson no longer has a 2000AD rival either (not since Victor's demise). The two firms aren't really rivals at all, so their co-operation makes sense. Of course, such a feature could never have appeared in the Megazine while 2000AD was still owned by IPC, who did directly compete with DC Thomson.
If only DCT would take that plunge and bring out a comic to rival 2000AD. *Daydreaming* :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Believe it or not Sid, DCT brought out an answer to 2000 AD not long after IPCs' sci-fi comic became a success: I think it was called STARBLAZER [or something], it was in a different format though, and it ran for quite a while.

It seems to be a mere footnote to sci-fi comics History, for some reason......

SID

Post by SID »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Believe it or not Sid, DCT brought out an answer to 2000 AD not long after IPCs' sci-fi comic became a success: I think it was called STARBLAZER [or something], it was in a different format though, and it ran for quite a while.

It seems to be a mere footnote to sci-fi comics History, for some reason......
I do believe it since I was an avid reader of Starblazer until its demise, ISPY. TBH, I was and still am puzzled why Starblazer was cancelled while Commando still continues. Sci-Fi has been just as popular a theme as war. In fact, I would say it is even more popular these days.

That aside, it would be great if DCT could bring out an adventure comic similar to 2000AD or Strip which could feature some of their older characters as well as new ones. Retro-Active could be one of the strips it could host.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:TBH, I was and still am puzzled why Starblazer was cancelled while Commando still continues. Sci-Fi has been just as popular a theme as war. In fact, I would say it is even more popular these days.
Starblazer obviously didn't sell enough copies to survive. I must admit I didn't buy it very often. It came across as a bit old fashioned compared to 2000AD and American SF comics. Perhaps it would have fared better if DCT had launched it in the late fifties, when Rick Random and suchlike were around. War has always been more popular in UK comics than SF, but even the Fleetway war libraries folded eventually. Commando has built up a loyal following over the years, but it wouldn't be so easy for a new title.

DCT also did a Football digest comic, but that too folded eventually.
SID wrote:That aside, it would be great if DCT could bring out an adventure comic similar to 2000AD or Strip which could feature some of their older characters as well as new ones. Retro-Active could be one of the strips it could host.
I can't see it happening. 2000AD doesn't even submit its figures to the ABC so it's probably selling low, and Strip appears to be in stasis, so it's not very encouraging for Thomson's to bring out a rival comic if the market isn't strong enough.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Starblazer obviously didn't sell enough copies to survive.
Lew Stringer wrote:DCT also did a Football digest comic, but that too folded eventually.
For those members who don't know what they looked like.
Attachments
Starblazer.jpg
FootballPSM.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It looks promising, going by your illustration, Phoenix!

But yes , it looks more 'retro' compared to 2000 AD: a good or bad thing, depending on your outlook.

Does anyone know if any 'name' artists [ie: people who are known by name on here] contributed to STARBLAZER?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:It looks promising, going by your illustration, Phoenix!

But yes , it looks more 'retro' compared to 2000 AD: a good or bad thing, depending on your outlook.

Does anyone know if any 'name' artists [ie: people who are known by name on here] contributed to STARBLAZER?
I know that Mick McMahon drew one, and Grant Morrisson wrote a few of them.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks, Lew! Sounds promising.....

starscape

Post by starscape »

Starblazer was far more Hotspur than 2000AD. It was a very popular title when I used to run the Superhero Store though.

I'd say The Crunch was maybe the nearest to 2000AD, though not quite there. A much under-rated comic IMO. Maybe it was closer to Tornado or Action?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

When 2000 AD was inspected around the DCT offices, I bet the level of violence and sadism was somewhat frowned upon,* and the Editorial elected to go another , more traditional route----which probably found a market in the early days.

I found 2000 AD undeniably violent, but never disturbing..... it was more exciting, in a sort of lurid, fantasy-cinema sort of way---it had great imagination, on top.

* Nevertheless, I have a happy memory of one D C T Editor of Beano stock and output, lapping up a macabre Don Martin cartoon in MAD Magazine, right there in D C T's offices!

SID

Post by SID »

The Crunch was another comic that I got in the day and for me, the best adventure comic DCT produced. I was sad when it folded into the more traditional Hotspur though I did went on to read it until it then merged with Victor.

I never found 2000AD disturbing, either. It certainly excited the mind of a certain 13-year old when he first read it.

A pity that DCT didn't at least try to counter it the same way as they did with Battle Picture Weekly. Yep, they brought out Starblazer but perhaps a weekly would have been better. As already mentioned, The Crunch most likely was the nearest thing to it.

But then again, with the exception of The Crunch (or possibly Warlord and Bullet though I was never interested in them at the time), I always did find DCT's adventure titles a little outdated compared to IPC. But for the humour comics, DCT excelled.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:But then again, with the exception of The Crunch (or possibly Warlord and Bullet though I was never interested in them at the time), I always did find DCT's adventure titles a little outdated compared to IPC. But for the humour comics, DCT excelled.
Well, as they say, horses for courses.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Speaking of 2000AD's rivals I'm surprised that the original Strip and Toxic hardly ever get mentioned. Does anyone else remember them at all? I thought they were real contenders that deserved to sell far better than they did.

- Phil Rushton

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I did not enjoy Toxic. It was just too OTT for me. But there is info here
ukcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Toxic!

Also, allegedly not paying your creators, doesn't bode well for future success, so, perhaps it's only fair it only lasted a short time.
Another British comic that failed miserably was Bogie Man, by Grant, Wagner and Smith. Originally a wonderful, slightly surreal, hard man, gangster, delusional hero idea, it was plagued by crushing inefficiences in certain departments, very little of which was due to the creators, I should add. The wonderful and sadly missed George Jackson was involved in the publishing and I hope I haven't made him spin by writing this. It wasn't all his fault. The film doesn't do it justice , imo. But the premiere at the Edinburgh Fimhouse was great fun.

Back on topic, I was a huge fan of 2000 A D from the very beginning, despite not being able to find #1 in Falkirk. But I tried J D Megazine a bit after it came out and didn't keep up with it. Too much J D In one place perhaps?

starscape

Post by starscape »

Strip (the original), I'd agree with. Some really interesting stuff in there. Not so mainstream though. Toxic was very hit and miss. The aformentioned Bogie Man and Accident Man were great but not too much else.

I've just bought 2000AD this week. I do it on occassion but get disappointed usually. Too much silliness and convulted episodes where nothing happens, rather than shock and awe which drew me in so many years ago. I know there was always humour and the odd silly character but there was far more thrills and spills to keep it in check. And, if you're going to write for the trade, don't put it in a weekly. It's a different medium.

Lets hope its back!
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies