Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
2000AD or Starlord? 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6934
Reply with quote
tony ingram wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
starscape wrote:
It did. Warrior stopped publishing MM and printed the letter as the reason. Letters pages were full of it.


Well, Marvelman still appeared in about the first 20 issues of Warrior. I think there was more to its sudden departure than that. It was also due to arguments over payment if I recall conversations at the time correctly. Also, I don't think Dez was keen on running a graphic birth scene, which caused more friction between him and Alan.
Whether that last is true or not, Marvel's threats really were why Warrior stopped running MM, I believe. The letter arrived, the strip stopped, Dez ran the letter, everyone was furious. Marvel jumped in as soon as the MM Special saw print.


Fair enough Tony. It's worth pointing out though that Alan also stopped producing The Bojeffries Saga around that time too, and that had nothing to do with Marvel. (Although admittedly V for Vendetta continued right up to the final issue.)

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
tony ingram wrote:
SID wrote:
Surprised that Marvel didn't whinge about IPC using their name then.
Marvel's Star Lord was a fairly obscure character back then. I doubt anybody would even have noticed.
He still was up until a few months ago, I reckon. The majority probably only know him from the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

_________________
Beano and Dandy Comic Libraries and Fun-Sizes list
Last update: 2 March 2017


Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:45 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 am
Posts: 60
Reply with quote
I think Starlord from Marvel Preview was being reprinted in Star Wars weekly around the same time as Starlord came out?


Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:00 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 pm
Posts: 2829
Location: Highboro'
Reply with quote
japandroid wrote:
I think Starlord from Marvel Preview was being reprinted in Star Wars weekly around the same time as Starlord came out?


Yes, with the naughty bits inked over.


Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 am
Posts: 60
Reply with quote
Raven wrote:
japandroid wrote:
I think Starlord from Marvel Preview was being reprinted in Star Wars weekly around the same time as Starlord came out?


Yes, with the naughty bits inked over.

Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that. I shouldn't have sold those definitely the best way to read Warlock, better quality tham the essential version, larger too.


Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:23 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 pm
Posts: 2829
Location: Highboro'
Reply with quote
japandroid wrote:
Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that.


Yes, in 'Sandsong' in the original Marvel Preview No. 14, when Ship takes on a female form, she's rather gratuitously bare breasted for much of the time. She wears a ridiculously skimpy covering for a while, then it gets pulled off by the razor-sharp mandibles of alien bug-thingies. Marvel's "adult" black and white magazines for you, there!


Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:42 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 am
Posts: 60
Reply with quote
Raven wrote:
japandroid wrote:
Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that.


Yes, in 'Sandsong' in the original Marvel Preview No. 14, when Ship takes on a female form, she's rather gratuitously bare breasted for much of the time. She wears a ridiculously skimpy covering for a while, then it gets pulled off by the razor-sharp mandibles of alien bug-thingies. Marvel's "adult" black and white magazines for you, there!


Hmm, that rings a bell, I seem to recall the Marvel Preview Paradox issue having a rather gratuitous amount tits and ass per panel. Of course that was eclipsed by Warren's notorious 1984.


Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:31 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am
Posts: 641
Reply with quote
2000 ad for ever: it keeps going like no other. So many times it looks like going under, yet it pursues. Unlike Beano, it has a very sound fan base that won't fluctuate so much. I have a bet with someone close: the last comic standing as regards availability with newsstand comics, commercially between 2000 ad and Beano, which keeps dropping, 2000 ad will triumph. Why? Judge Dredd will overcome Dennis the Menace... give me ten years from now while we debate with Desperate Dan


Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:49 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 pm
Posts: 2829
Location: Highboro'
Reply with quote
japandroid wrote:
Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that. I shouldn't have sold those definitely the best way to read Warlock, better quality tham the essential version, larger too.



Star Wars Weekly seemed to get away with as low as a page count as it could, and those back-up stories had such short instalments. I remember Warlock seemed quite kooky at the time. You've got me wondering - is it worth checking out again today? That trippy, outer space, cosmic comic stuff from the post-hippy/acid era may have seemed potentially quite deep, philosophical and "adult" when you're a little kid - but does it seem to have any substance when read today as an adult, or is it just nutty, pulpy fun - or not especially readable?


Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:55 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Suffolk, England
Reply with quote
Raven wrote:
japandroid wrote:
Really? I don't think I have many Star Wars left to see that. I shouldn't have sold those definitely the best way to read Warlock, better quality tham the essential version, larger too.



Star Wars Weekly seemed to get away with as low as a page count as it could, and those back-up stories had such short instalments.
They were the same length as the installments in all Marvel UK's other titles at the time.
Quote:
I remember Warlock seemed quite kooky at the time. You've got me wondering - is it worth checking out again today? That trippy, outer space, cosmic comic stuff from the post-hippy/acid era may have seemed potentially quite deep, philosophical and "adult" when you're a little kid - but does it seem to have any substance when read today as an adult, or is it just nutty, pulpy fun - or not especially readable?
I read it again quite recently in collected form (The Essential Warlock) and it still stands up well today. In fact, a lot of early 70s Marvel seems to me to be better written and to have more depth than 90% of the comics produced in the last two decades, at least. It was certainly Jim Starlin at his peak (sadly, he's been rehashing the same stories ever since, with diminishing returns).

_________________
http://www.yudu.com/search?query=Crikey!


Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:10 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 pm
Posts: 2829
Location: Highboro'
Reply with quote
tony ingram wrote:
They were the same length as the installments in all Marvel UK's other titles at the time.


Star Wars Weekly was only 28 pages, 8 pages less than the other Marvel UK weeklies of 1978, and I think I remember there being 4 (or 5 page) instalments, whereas I was more used to them being closer to 8 or 9. Didn't they even occasionally split some of the short, twist in the tale back-ups into a couple of parts?


tony ingram wrote:
I read it again quite recently in collected form (The Essential Warlock) and it still stands up well today. In fact, a lot of early 70s Marvel seems to me to be better written and to have more depth than 90% of the comics produced in the last two decades, at least.


Although Marvel was taken over by a Big Corporation in 1973, the kooky, writer-led, more self-indulgent, out there stuff still managed to keep on dripping through for a few years. It's long been a very different environment, with Marketing having a big say in Editorial, and specific commercial mandates, etc.


Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:05 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 pm
Posts: 908
Location: UK
Reply with quote
I read the entire thing about a year or so ago (through both series). Thought it was very interesting and is not 'of it's time' especially. Recommended.

I also then read Mar-Vell due to the Starlin/Thanos link and was less than impressed except for the odd episode.
http://starscapesays.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/showcased-life-of-captain-mar-vell.html

_________________
STARSCAPE
http://StarscapeOnline.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Starscape ... 7891434222
comics, cartoons, music & movies


Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 pm
Posts: 1132
Location: Suffolk, England
Reply with quote
starscape wrote:
I read the entire thing about a year or so ago (through both series). Thought it was very interesting and is not 'of it's time' especially. Recommended.

I also then read Mar-Vell due to the Starlin/Thanos link and was less than impressed except for the odd episode.
http://starscapesays.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/showcased-life-of-captain-mar-vell.html
I think Mar-Vell was a character they had trouble finding a direction for, it seemed to be one false start after another. There are a few memorable storylines and I liked the character of Marv himself, but really, the only significant thing about him was his death.

_________________
http://www.yudu.com/search?query=Crikey!


Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:14 pm
Posts: 343
Reply with quote
USA 'Star Lord*' from the new Guardians of the Galaxy film, also appeared in another UK Marvel weekly 'Future Tense' 1980-1982. A surprisingly long-lived reprint title for Marvel's Sci-fi strips, along with Star Trek, Micronauts and others.

*Not to be confused with the UK IPC weekly :)


Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:34 am
Profile

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 am
Posts: 60
Reply with quote
When I started collecting US comics seriously first on my list was Starlin's Warlock. I've read it many times, it's superb and as enjoyable now as it was then. I seem to remember Pip getting best supporting character awards. The bit when they go that bar to meet Gamorrah has shades of Star Wars about it. Cap Marvel although nice to look at has little depth. I loved the first Guardians Of The Galaxy from MSH 18 that ran in Star Wars, classic stuff. I haven't even been slightly tempted to part with my MSH 18 I did sell my M Prem 7 but I really miss having that cover.


Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.