Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
2000AD Prog 1900 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Being a 2000AD fan, I had to mention that it has reached Prog 1900.

New Judge Dredd strip - Block Judge by Wagner and Esquerra and I liked the article celebrating specific landmark issues.

So well done, Tharg. May 2000AD long continue. :)


Attachments:
2000AD Prog 1900.jpg
2000AD Prog 1900.jpg [ 115.93 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.
Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:50 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:05 pm
Posts: 4275
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA
Reply with quote
really nice cover.

_________________
Baby Boomer Blog:

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.com/view/magazine


Image


Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 5032
Reply with quote
I wonder what happens when they reach Prog 2000, bearing in mind that already appeared 14 years ago.


Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:02 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Interesting question, Phil. I wonder if they will keep the bumper issue but just lose the special numbering. The other thing they could do is a Winter Special.

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.


Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:06 am
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:14 pm
Posts: 343
Reply with quote
Congrats on the 1900th prog.

It was 14-years ago that 2000ad reached the year 2000 – ending the date on whether the title should change.
Now reaching an incredible 37-years!

So many of the UK’s top comic talents have played a part in so many original issues. Best of luck for the next decade.

_________________
http://marabese.com/art


Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am
Posts: 641
Reply with quote
last comic standing 8) It has retained a readership from thirty years ago because it has matured with its readers - a unique development which, I'm sure, wasn't originally designed. It just happened that way. The likes of Battle, Warlord and Victor just didn't know how to mature - they were kind of stuck in their ways whereas 2000 ad broke the chains of regurgitating stories for upcoming kids. It moved on and we stuck with it for that. Even the Beano will fall before 2000 ad, believe me. Why? The Beano can never grow up whereas 2000 ad has left its juvenile origins way behind.


Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:34 am
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3464
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
Victor didn't do so badly with a 31 year run. Battle got stuck with Action Force and ended up dying a death due to that as I am sure that Pat Mills et al would have been glad to have kept it evolving. And Warlord managed a 12 year run. Not bad considering the amount of comics that popped up and died during their runs.

Either way, well done Tooth on making it this far and I hope you keep going for another 1900 issues.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6931
Reply with quote
geoff42 wrote:
last comic standing 8) It has retained a readership from thirty years ago because it has matured with its readers - a unique development which, I'm sure, wasn't originally designed. It just happened that way. The likes of Battle, Warlord and Victor just didn't know how to mature - they were kind of stuck in their ways whereas 2000 ad broke the chains of regurgitating stories for upcoming kids. It moved on and we stuck with it for that. Even the Beano will fall before 2000 ad, believe me. Why? The Beano can never grow up whereas 2000 ad has left its juvenile origins way behind.



At 76 years old and with 3,752 issues so far I don't think The Beano's done too badly.

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
geoff42 wrote:
last comic standing 8) It has retained a readership from thirty years ago because it has matured with its readers - a unique development which, I'm sure, wasn't originally designed. It just happened that way. The likes of Battle, Warlord and Victor just didn't know how to mature - they were kind of stuck in their ways whereas 2000 ad broke the chains of regurgitating stories for upcoming kids. It moved on and we stuck with it for that. Even the Beano will fall before 2000 ad, believe me. Why? The Beano can never grow up whereas 2000 ad has left its juvenile origins way behind.



At 76 years old and with 3,752 issues so far I don't think The Beano's done too badly.

Both my parents were born around the same time The Beano was launched and it has outlasted them (both going in the past year).

In fact, both 2000AD and The Beano deserve mighty handshakes for surviving so long in today's market. Long may they BOTH continue. :)

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.


Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 am
Profile YIM

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am
Posts: 641
Reply with quote
sad to hear about your parent's passing, sid. I still have parents alive and dread the moment when the Grim Reaper comes a calling. Being the sole benefactor, I stand for a good deal of money but, I would rather carry on working for it and enjoy their company as long as I can... damn it, I',m starting to get tears now when I think about the inevitable.


Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:33 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am
Posts: 641
Reply with quote
hi, col, the only war comic that could have made it was Battle... Victor was long peddling with soccer stories... Warlord just died cos it didn't know what else to do - simple fact with hindsight. Battle had brilliant stories like Charlie's War and could have made some headway into the nineties but, like you said, got bogged down with tripe. But... 2000 ad was still alive to accommodate certain contributors. Eagle died not long after Victor. Nothing was left really for the "me" when I was nine year old. How I am so glad I grew up in the seventies.


Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:13 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am
Posts: 641
Reply with quote
From my last post, I meant that had I been nine years old in the early ninetie, I would have been sorely disappointed with comics and not even have bothered. Thankfully, I was a child of the seventies... 1977 is my fav year, by the way :)


Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:19 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am
Posts: 641
Reply with quote
I know full well of the Beano's longevity just as much as I did of Dandy's... and then it died...was it 2 year ago? It was unthinkable at the time. Beano's sales will continue to decline and then the inevitable will happen. And so will 2000 ad's but, owing to its readership, it will carry on the good fight for longer. Here's the proof: When was the last time "2000 ad" give away a free gift? Don't know about Beano - reckon it's more: is it helping the sales? "2000 ad" will be the last true paper comic standing...a tenner bet going.


Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:01 am
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3464
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
geoff42 wrote:
hi, col, the only war comic that could have made it was Battle... Victor was long peddling with soccer stories... Warlord just died cos it didn't know what else to do - simple fact with hindsight. Battle had brilliant stories like Charlie's War and could have made some headway into the nineties but, like you said, got bogged down with tripe. But... 2000 ad was still alive to accommodate certain contributors. Eagle died not long after Victor. Nothing was left really for the "me" when I was nine year old. How I am so glad I grew up in the seventies.

Victor was always an anthology paper. You had Biker drawn by John Cooper, Alf Tupper by Carlos Pino, Jim Bleach et al. Jimmy Grant by Neville Wilson, plus at least one war story by Ortiz in the late 80's/early 90's. There was also at least one story drawn by Matias Alonso. Cadman in the 70's drawn by Mike Dorey was just amazing to look at.

The problem was that Victor was punchy in the 60's, just about keeping pace in the 70's and losing ground in the 80's, but it hung on until 1992 which is miles better than Battle managed (1975 to 1988) and Victor had lasted longer than Eagle Mk I and II combined!

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:34 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6931
Reply with quote
geoff42 wrote:
I know full well of the Beano's longevity just as much as I did of Dandy's... and then it died...was it 2 year ago? It was unthinkable at the time. Beano's sales will continue to decline and then the inevitable will happen. And so will 2000 ad's but, owing to its readership, it will carry on the good fight for longer. Here's the proof: When was the last time "2000 ad" give away a free gift? Don't know about Beano - reckon it's more: is it helping the sales? "2000 ad" will be the last true paper comic standing...a tenner bet going.


I get the impression that you think 2000AD is outselling The Beano?

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.