The Cursed Earth Uncensored at Last!

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Shiner

The Cursed Earth Uncensored at Last!

Post by Shiner »

Great news! The Guardian is reporting that Rebellion are to reprint the Cursed Earth in full - complete with Burger Wars and Jolly Green Giant. Last year's change in libel laws now allows these tongue in cheek renditions of Ronald McDonald etc so the threat of legal action has now receded. These strips are to have their first airing since the 70's.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The Cursed Earth Uncensored at Last!

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Funny enough, I just picked up a less-than-legal version* of the entire saga just recently, a hyper-clear version of all the pages including the colour spreads: great to see all the detail properly at last.

Some of the small bits of business in the background of the banned stories used to be invisible due to dodgy scans: this has been recently rectified.

It is bizarre stuff all round but I probably still prefer the vintage epic stuff like this.

* Don't do as I do.

SID

Post by SID »

I heard that too and so it should. Personally I thought all this business was rather daft. At the end of the day it is a only comic. It certainly never changed my attitude towards hamburgers, sweetcorn, tyres, etc... *shaking head*
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:I heard that too and so it should. Personally I thought all this business was rather daft. At the end of the day it is a only comic. It certainly never changed my attitude towards hamburgers, sweetcorn, tyres, etc... *shaking head*
It was nothing to do with influence. It was about potential copyright infringement of the food brands.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

does that mean the so-called banned issues of 2000 ad will come down in price? I already have them but, boy, did I pay for them.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

It would be wise to sell them now and buy again later. They're not going to go any higher in value.

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:I heard that too and so it should. Personally I thought all this business was rather daft. At the end of the day it is a only comic. It certainly never changed my attitude towards hamburgers, sweetcorn, tyres, etc... *shaking head*
It was nothing to do with influence. It was about potential copyright infringement of the food brands.
I stand corrected, Lew. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).