Some Brian Bolland work you might have not seen

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Some Brian Bolland work you might have not seen

Post by stevezodiac »

More stuff from my cupboard root around last night. Both from BEM fanzine c 1980:

Shaqui

Re: Some Brian Bolland work you might have not seen

Post by Shaqui »

Ah yes, the late lamented BEM... I had a superb issue with a Mike McMahon cover with a quite detailed interview with 'Tharg' (aka Steve McManus, I think?). Or was it the other way round? :lol:

And Bolland did quite a few comic store ads... didn't he do the original 'Dark They Were And Golden Eyed' ones? I seem to recall him doing a few comic catalogue covers too... 'Forbidden Planet' perhaps?

:P

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I presume you have purchased the last two issues of Comics International which featured "Gerry Anderson in the comics" articles?

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Well I never... did they? :P

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Am I to presume, from the touch of sarcasm in your response, that you had some input into the aforementioned articles? I didn't buy the issues in question so have a perfectly valid reason for being in Darksville, Arizona.

BTW does your love of puppet series extend to the Telegoons? I have about 26 episodes on dvd - one of those home recorded sets you can get at film fairs. I loved those old puppet shows and can still remember Hoppity swinging on the gate and that boy bully who dressed like Herbert in the Bash Street Kids. (Think i got that right but brain is 75% of what it once was since I accidentally microwaved my bonce after sticking it into micky to stir my porridge).

NP

Post by NP »

The Telegoons! Ah, the look of blank bemusment you get if you mention them! I looked forward to this programme (Saturdays, 1963ish) with glee! Eccles dolls were even produced, anyone know (ebay excepted!) where one might be found?! When I discovered, many, many years later, that Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe had recorded the voices anew, I was even more a fan. And don't forget Bill Titcombe's excellent portrayal of the series in TV Comic right up until 1966 (or even 1967?) I wish BBC would put out a DVD of this show, with an extra disc of the comic strip!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

stevezodiac wrote:Am I to presume, from the touch of sarcasm in your response, that you had some input into the aforementioned articles? I didn't buy the issues in question so have a perfectly valid reason for being in Darksville, Arizona.
Well if 'some input' extends to actually writing them and providing all the images then... guilty as charged. :wave:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

And a very nice job it is too Shaqui! Incidentally, did you personally commission Bill Mevin to produce that excellent cover? It's great to see that he's still around. :)

- Phil R.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:And a very nice job it is too Shaqui! Incidentally, did you personally commission Bill Mevin to produce that excellent cover? It's great to see that he's still around. :)

- Phil R.
Yes I did. Considering Bill is now in his 80s, and was pending an eye operation at the time - which I'm glad to report was successful - he did a superb job. You can see the original if you click on my 'ComicArtFans' link, under 'Commissions'.

:D