Dennis Gifford article from 1987.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

geoff42

Re: Dennis Gifford article from 1987.

Post by geoff42 »

A museum or a library that contains every physical British publication of a nationwide newsstand comic wouldn't work - far too unwieldy and a large premise would be required. I would dearly love such a concept, but I just can't see it happening - way too much upkeep. An interactive computer is the way to go (goes well against my grain but we have to go with the times.) Of course, physical landmark issues would be at hand on display, i.e: Beano and Dandy no. 1 and such. I wouldn't want a museum that contains only a selected series of particular titles; I want the kitchen sink and the plug along with it.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Phoenix wrote:
suebutcher wrote:What's missing from the British national library?
Well, for a start they no longer have a copy of The Boys' Holiday Book, published in 1927 by D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd. When I put a request slip in for it five or six years ago, might have been earlier, they went down to the storage area to get it but came back empty handed, and told me that it had been destroyed during the war. I still haven't seen a copy.
I paid them a visit once in the Eighties, and found they didn't have any of the Miller (Marvelman etc.) comics. But they had everything else on my list of must-sees.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The British Music Library in North London had no copies at all of Music Paper `Top Pops` which ran from May 1967 to Feb 1970 (It changed its format becoming "Music Now" from March 70 to Feb 71 when it folded) I have promised them mine when I shuffle off!
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

What will become of your full run on SPARKY come time, Alan/

Hopefully it will be a long way off!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

My full Sparky's - if you outlive me- they're yours Rab! I can't think of a better home for them!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Wow! What can I say, Alan---I am deeply moved by your last posting.

I do have a fair whack of the entire run---approx 500 out of the 625 issues-------and I have definitely came around to the early 1965-68 issues: really quirky, intruiging material from the early days: a comic that truly went it's own direction until finally finding it's feet.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I'm quite ready to leave them in a `will` or whatever legal document it takes Rab! I'd be happy knowing they'd be cherished and cared for. Includes the free gifts the two No 1 issues-Specimen cards for its launch and `Flyers` I don't know much about these legalities- I can ask Citizens advice I suppose about `Wills` Sorry for sounding morbid-but I just want them to go where they will be loved after i pop me clogs! Hopefully, got a few years left! Sorry if this `is` morbid :D -but I have to be practical.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

nice one, alan. It may be more comforting to leave your collection to a fellow member on this site rather than a close relative who would regard it with pound signs in their dilated pupils. Of course, you would need to meet with that fellow beforehand and have a few drinks in the process :cheers:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

That's a great idea Goff---what ya say, Alan?