George Martin's comic career..

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: George Martin's comic career..

Post by Peter Gray »

Heres a great comment

Tumblety said...
I was George's accountant for 20 years until he died. He was a delightful, intelligent man devoted to his work and our meetings were hilarious. Think of John le Mesurier and you'll be pretty close.

His accounts books were sprinkled with ideas, one liners and drawings.

He had an artist's attitude to life and try as I might I could not persuade him that spending £50 on research for a £25 cartoon was wrong. 'I cannot work in a vacuum, dear boy. I need inspiration.'

He recounted, at some length, how the previous day he had woken up and decided to draw a cartoon involving an army tank. So he set off, with his dear Mary, on an expedition from his home in north Kent to the tank museum in Dorset 150 miles away. And back the same day so he could draw in the evening. I pointed out the cost of petrol and he said that in his strips realism was all. He wanted to show the tank upside-down and needed to crawl underneath one to see what was there.

And he had such a lovely day out. Mary's face suggested that she hadn't enjoyed it as much!

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... 2564357425

Great getting an insight into what he was like and how he cared at getting it right the art and angle.

Dunder Ed

Re: George Martin's comic career..

Post by Dunder Ed »

George Martin is a legend hes drawn some of my favourite ever characters.