Bill Ritchie

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Bill Ritchie

Post by Phoenix »

Classic Comics wrote:If memory serves, I'm pretty sure Anne Kemp was the last editor of the Bunty. Our more recent girls papers like Hi, Animals & You, Cool and Goody Bag Mag have always had female editors, although they have been predominantly magazines, so actual comic content has been minimal
Thank you for that reply, CC. I think I may have misled you, though, for which I apologise. I was referring only to the story papers, Bunty obviously being one of them, but not to any comics or even magazines such as Jackie or Blue Jeans. I directed my inquiry to Kashgar simply because he made the point in the first place, and would have known intuitively what I meant. Also he read the article that I wrote on the occasion of what would have been the fiftieth birthday of Bunty last year but one, which contained what now appears to be an error, but he did not pick up on the point at the time. If Anne Kemp was the last editor of Bunty then there have simply been a couple of oversights at worst. I can live with it. :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Great to see this..I just love his charming work..
One I can't find in Beezer.is Hairy Dan football fan....I've looked and looked....I'm sure I did have an example..

Also still hoping someone has a Clumsy Claude from an early Beano his first work for the comic..pretty please.. :)

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

It is only recently that I discovered that Anne Kemp was the last editor on Bunty Derek. It certainly wasn't info that I had to hand when you did the Bunty article.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I didn't really think you would have missed it, Ray, and I'm certainly not blaming Calum. I am now very curious, though, to know whether Anne was the only one.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Bill Ritchie did some work on the Thomson's Boys papers in the 50s. Small three panel strips without dialogue. He also drew a full 64 page comic library for one of the Girl's comics Bunty, Judy, Debbie or Mandy but I sold them all on ebay. (I might have kept the Bill Ritchie one but no idea where it would be).

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Bill Ritchie
R.I.P.

A tatty Sparky from 1968, I really do need a new scanner.

I love The Moonsters.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

stevezodiac wrote:Bill Ritchie did some work on the Thomson's Boys papers in the 50s. Small three panel strips without dialogue. He also drew a full 64 page comic library for one of the Girl's comics Bunty, Judy, Debbie or Mandy but I sold them all on ebay. (I might have kept the Bill Ritchie one but no idea where it would be).
I'm working on a list of Bill's most significant work for the Thomson boys' papers at the moment. I'll post it here in due course.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Are these Bill Ritchie appearing in 'Wizard' 2?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That Story Without Words looks like Fred the Flop, although it's not by his usual artist.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I think Tom Lavery was the regular artist for Fred the Flop, at least in Buzz.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Tom drew Fred throughout his career of crime.

Neither of those is Bill, but I don't know who it is.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

No those are not the strips I was thinking of. Pretty sure they were in Hotspur and you could see they were Bill's work. I'm trying to find the issues in question but may have transferred them to storage.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Heres Charlie chick by Bill in the first Beezer book..
Was Charlie a full page in the beezer comic?.was it in colour?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There are two of Bill's cartoons in the latest Weekly News. It came out on Wednesday 3 February so they may be his last published work. Here they are:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Continuing the theme of Baby Crockett crossovers, here's another one I just noticed - this time featuring Bill's own interpretation of the Jellymen themselves from 1960 (as well as a rather soggy Jelly Baby! :) ). Not one of his most graphically innovative strips perhaps, but great fun nonetheless:

- Phil Rushton