Charles Grigg

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Charles Grigg

Post by stevezodiac »

We know Charles drew Korky, Foxy, Splodge plus some Desperate Dan stories, here is an article I have just found from the Daily Mirror "The Look" magazine - probably late 1990s.

stevegrigg

Re: Charles Grigg

Post by stevegrigg »

Just to let you know Chas is my father and still going at 94!

Steve Grigg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevegrigg wrote:Just to let you know Chas is my father and still going at 94!

Steve Grigg
Steve, that's the best news I've had all week! Long may your Dad continue to keep going.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Any chance you could tell us what the jokes on the postcards are please, Steve. The words are too fuzzy or indistinct to read on my screen.

stevegrigg

Post by stevegrigg »

Have had a look through the 100 or so of his cards cards that Dad has but these two are not there unfortunately and the original drawings were kept by Bamforths then eventually sold at Christies I believe. We have a few unpublished originals but only one original published card which my brother and I purchased off ebay. Sorry!

Have a feeling that Dad has a copy of this article somewhere but finding might be difficult.

Steve

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I'm very pleased to hear your father is still with us Steve. His work is much loved by many (if not all) of us here. He was one of my favourite artists when I was growing up and his adventure strips The Red Wrecker and The Umbrella Men fascinated me as a child. (And his version of Korky was fantastic of course. )

You might like to let him know that I bought some of the Dandy comics he sold to Nostalgia & Comics years ago, so they went to a good home. Thanks to those comics I was able to regain my collection of Dandy from 1964 (the first year I started reading it).

A while back I wrote on my blog a short item about the postcards your father did. I hope you enjoy it. If there are any inaccuracies please let me know:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2007/04 ... -next.html

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Charles Griggs did some amazing covers for the Dandy...Summer special and annuals..

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... s%20Griggs

This link shows his Beano comic work..has said on the post he is great at drawing animals..

UPDATE my icon is The Umbrella man :)
Last edited by Peter Gray on 30 Jun 2011, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.

stevegrigg

Post by stevegrigg »

Many thanks for the comments and links.

I know dad will be will be delighted to know that his work is appreciated and that he still has some fans out there!

Steve

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Charlie is a legend!

cartoonmuseum

Post by cartoonmuseum »

Delighted to know that Charlie is still going strong. We have some great artwork by him from The Dandy in our current exhibition at the Cartoon Museum.
Please let him know his Korky the Cat is much admired.
The exhibition opens tonight and runs from 24 Oct - 24 Dec 2012

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Charlies version of Korky is perhaps one of the greatest things about the Dandy, all the covers in the 70s were fantastic true works of art in their own right.