Comic artist Vanyo.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

David McDonald

Comic artist Vanyo.

Post by David McDonald »

Hello all, just wondering if anyone here has any info on the comic artist Vanyo, who woked for IPC on 2000ad and Battle, and notably on Death Wish and Ghost Squad in Speed, Tiger and The Eagle. I can find anything on the internet about him.

Cheers

David

philcom55

Re: Comic artist Vanyo.

Post by philcom55 »

I'd assume the name is an anglicization of Vincente Vañó who drew 'The Mind of Wolfie Smith' for Tornado (or possibly his brother).

- Phil Rushton

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

philcom55 wrote:I'd assume the name is an anglicization of Vincente Vañó who drew 'The Mind of Wolfie Smith' for Tornado (or possibly his brother).

- Phil Rushton
Wolfie Smith was certainly credited to Vanyo. I loved that strip. Haven't seen his name on anything since the eighties, though.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Vincente Vañó, Many thanks, thats something to go on. I have come up with another lead as well, if anything comes of it Ill post it here.

David

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

From Lambiek:

Eduardo Vañó Ibarra

Vicente Vañó Ibarra

I've certainly seen Vicente's work, and possibly also Eduardo's, credited to "Vanyo" in UK comics.
--
Patrick Brown
paddybrown.co.uk

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

According to WikiPF, it was Eduardo who drew Wolfie Smith.
--
Patrick Brown
paddybrown.co.uk

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Vañó
I don't seem to have the facility on my keyboard for producing letters with accents above them, although I would love to have it. How do you manage it, Phil?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

In this case I'm afraid I cheated Phoenix! :)

I've reconfigured my keyboard for other languages in the past, but it can be a bit complicated. There are also ways of 'rotating' the symbols assigned to specific keys, but If I only want to use a single name like Vañó I find it simpler to just google 'Eduardo Vano' and copy the appropriately accented version from the internet.

- Phil R.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

®Ì§Ç ÔS hás ª ßü¡l†-îñ ûtìlit¥ çãll€ð ©hârs (s¢rèéñshøt - s¤rrŷ, thâ†'s thë bêst Ï çºµlð find) ŵh¡ch ållõws ŷøù tó iñsért ãñ¥ sŷmbºl ör äcœn†èd ¢hârâcter ïntø whàt€ve® apþlicátiòn thê çür§or ©ûrrentlŷ haþpêns tø ße in, ìnstëäð ¤f relÿïñg õñ èv鮥 âþpliçåt¡on hªvîng án "Ïnser† §ÿmßøl" ðíalögµe bo×, ŵhi¢h sømè, lìkè w€b brºwsers, ðon't.

It's one of the facilities I really miss on Windows.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You could use the Character Map that's included with Windows, but I find it quicker just to Google it and copy/paste like Phil said.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

I'm amazed there isn't more coverage of Vanyo's career on 't net. He's easily one of my favourite artists of all time- he was certainly well ahead of his. Would love to see new stuff from him.

Anybody know if he's still working... or even still alive?

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

A few months ago, this post wouldn't have meant nothing to me. Now, having read the first 14 issues of Battle I can not only appreciate it but also add a little input. Eduardo Vano Ibarra drew The Flight of the Golden Hinde and the story that followed - The Faltrose Falcon. The art is of a very high standard and stands above its contemporary strips - good solid, detailed drawing from which every face is finely characterised, even the profiles. Such drawing is definitely pining for a gothic feel upon which, I believe, Eduardo sharpened his pencils. On a sadder note, his brother, Vicente, passed away in 2006. With such obvious talent, i'm surprised Eduardo bothered with agencies. Maybe it was the sign of the times back in the seventies but, by heck, why IPC didn't secure such talent full time, i'll never know. Beautiful art. :cheers: