LETS TALK ABOUT WHY TOM PATTERSON IS SO GREAT!!

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

I think Tom is one of U.K's greats...he shows Northern England with all its factorys..chimmneys...flat caps...it is very English.....
it is Leo Bax in a new way!!
The goon style humour...the love of names and surrealness is super.....the witty asides...the mutterings of people and noises...a bit like Nick Barker's Smiler with the various Beams!!! It is a great partnership with the writers...I bet the writer love to write for Tom Patterson.....the smelly sock may it always smell......cheers to you Tom!!!
Peter Gray!!

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 05/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Tom Patterson is actually Scottish and lives in Glasgow region with his wife and family - bu tyour right his style is very Baxendale who is English but did his best work whilst working in Scotland.

Originally posted by Ally Mcleods Ghost on the old forum on Ally Mcleods Ghost

Old Forum Fella

always loved sewwny toddler, any animal that appeared had 'feed other end'on their backside,as a kid i thought this was great!

Originally posted by Dathi on the old forum on 06/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Love Tom Pattersons work very funny indeed on par (if not better) thah most of the so called big American cartoonists - He developed well on Baxendales original (1970s) style and has taken it one step further - Briefly spoke to him a few years ago at Memorabellia in Glasgow , a friend who knows him says he feel a bit isolated working in UK comic fans (lack of interest in his work) I'm sure he'll be chuffed to learn he is so well thought of - And yep hes another Scot in comics and not English (his hero Baxendale is English not SCOTTISH - not that its that important)

Originally posted by Andrew McLean on the old forum on 06/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

I had a feeling he was scottish! I have to admit his comments that fan's have a lack of interest in his work is very sad! I love his work! I must create a fan website in his honour. My favourites are when he is wacky like Sweeny Toddler...Calamity James.....though I like the drawing of facial expressions in Minnie the minxs!!
When I drew cartoons when I was a kid I always included a smelly sock! Now I'm 29 I like his work even more.......Tom Patterson is equal to Leo Bax in my mind!!!
Peter Gray

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 06/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Tom Patterson is my hero when it comes to comic artists. His artwork is brilliant, and I would say his 'Strange Hill' from Whizzer & Chips from the early 80's probably his finest work. He has certainly influenced me, and I just wish there was more outlets for budding cartoonists that have been influenced by Patterson, Baxendale, Nixon, etc to show what they can do.

Originally posted by Mark on the old forum on 06/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Peter,Mark etc - Totally agree Toms a stunningly funny artist and one of the greatest cartoonists ever (for me he is up there with Wally Wood and my heroes Baxendale and Reid) - Was never to keen on his Buster, Whizzer and Chips style to be honest - felt he got into "it" big time when he starting being influenced by Baxendale - Like you Mark I'm also amazed there is no one doing a fanzine for talented cartoonists (as oppossed to Manga and US styles Zzzz)to showcase their work - Mmmmmmm keep your eyes peeled though I may be looking for some artists soon for that very fanzine.Peter I agree with the last e mailer look forward to seeign your Tom Patterson site I enjoy your JEO one very much.

Originally posted by Paul McScotty on the old forum on 06/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Tom Patterson Sweeny Toddler and Buster the cover stars were super in the 80's! The writer was Graham Exton.....read about him at Toonhound.....
http://www.toonhound.com/toddzilla.htm
Creating a website takes a lot of effort....though I may just do it! I'll let you know another time! I also love Calmaity James a great deal and voted him Best in the top ten of The Beano.....Give Tom Patterson a great writer and watch it explode!!!

I hope more people will write a comment I'm sure he will read this!!!

His work should be collected up and put into books like The Simpson's.....Leo Bax also should have that honour.....we had the best of Desperate Dan and Lord Snooty Oor Wullie The Broons.....Dudley D Watkins and David Law have been widely honoured in book form.....lets see other artists covered....
Tom Patterson and Leo Bax first!!! The Bash Street kids had 50 years where was the book to honour this...Minnie the minxs...etc.....

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 07/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Peter, you are absolutely spot on! D. C. Thompson are missing too many marketing tricks. Baxendale reprints of Bash Street, Minnie and Plum would sail out the bookshops like, um, sailing hot cakes (I think!). On top of which a Jonah reprint would be an utter goldmine. What on Earth is wrong with these people? Have they lost the plot?

Originally posted by Brendan McGuire on the old forum on 08/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Although I agree with your comments on DCT not being to quick on the uptake on marketing the older stuff I seem to recall that there may be a slight problem with them using Baxendales stuff in bulk - after the big 80s law suite between the 2 of them - However that may well be sorted out now but its the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't be publishing such stuff - as for Reids work, well the guys was a genius Jonah, Angel Face , Roger the Dodger etc what are they waiting for???

Originally posted by Janus Stark on the old forum on 09/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

http://uk.geocities.com/pjgtompatterson/

Here's the website!!! Phew!!!!! Peter Gray

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 09/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Peter - Now that was fast - well done I'll def be having a good look inot thios later some strips I wasnt aware of - well done again Pater a brillaint piece of work.

Originally posted by Paul mcScotty on the old forum on 09/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Thanks!
I just felt his work needs to be seen and honoured...www.Toonhound.com has just covered in Fleetstreet Guy Gorrila he emailed me to say great minds think alike!!!!HA-HA-HA
I get very passionate and worked all weekend scaning and creating....if anyone wants to see more strips... add comments to website or have classic Sweeny...like Sweeny in Whoopee doing 2000AD Judge Dredd take off......scan page in JPEG has small as you can but so you can read it and email me
thejeep2000@yahoo.co.uk
I need to have breather after that....Mike Lacey...Sid Burgeon...Robert Nixon...Ken Reid....will have to wait!!! Peter Gray.....I now can rest easy now that Tom's work can be seen all over the world!!!

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 09/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Excellent work Peter - I just had a look - a very good site and lots of art, more than most comic site.

Originally posted by Janus Stark on the old forum on 09/02/2004

Old Forum Fella

Paterson is spelt with a single"t" and he's separated from his wife, living in a flat in Leith with in Edinburgh. He has three kids - two girls and a boy. As far as I know, he has always lived in the Edinburgh area. He's certainly a devoted Hearts supporter like me.
Euan Kerr the editor of The Beano emailed me!!
He is going to tell Tom about the website I've done in his honour!!! Though he doesn't have a computer or the internet.......cool aye....I better update my site a bit with this info!!
What a week.....not only am I meeting Jack Edward Oliver for the first time in Dartford Kent....but also get a email from Euan!!!!
It made my day!!!!
Peter Gray

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 10/02/2004