Terry Bave's New Book

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Dunder Ed

Terry Bave's New Book

Post by Dunder Ed »

Terry Bave has created a new book about his work and comic art in general. Terry Bave was the artist of classics such as Odd Ball, Melvyn's Mirror, Double Trouble and also drew Winker Watson in the 90s. It looks like a great book and I'm sure some one on this forum has got the book and can give a better review of it. I think Terry is also starting a blog

Where to buy the book
http://www.lulu.com/shop/terry-bave/car ... 25272.html

His blog
http://terrybave.blogspot.co.uk/

(I'm not sure whether he will add to his blog, but keep checking into see)

Hope you enjoy it.

philcom55

Re: Terry Bave's New Book

Post by philcom55 »

I wonder if it's based on the autobiography that was serialized in Golden Fun?

- Phil R.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'd like to start my own blog - is it easy? Is there a limit to how many images you can have on it? I'm not that good on the technical side of pcs but have heard people mention picture sizes etc. The Bave book looks good - I might buy it despite mentioning on another post just now that I don't have the space for books anymore. But I like Terry's "friendly" art style.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

philcom55 wrote:I wonder if it's based on the autobiography that was serialized in Golden Fun?

- Phil R.
The book is apparently 308 pages, so it must expand considerably on the Golden Fun article.

I see that our newest member is russellbave, Terry's son. Maybe we'll hear from Russell soon.
Colonel Steve wrote:I'd like to start my own blog - is it easy? Is there a limit to how many images you can have on it? I'm not that good on the technical side of pcs but have heard people mention picture sizes etc.
Yes, it's easy to create a blog with Blogger (the blog platform I use). I was concerned about limits to images when I started, but I've never encountered any problems and I'm up to 303 posts. I don't think Lew had any problems, and he created a stonking 1000+ posts.

Anyway, here's some tips on starting a blog, and I look forward to hearing that you've started yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4s3wN_vK8

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Steve I also created a blog when I was about 9 on a game I used to play on Wordpress. At the time I ended it it had over 150,000 hits. It was fairly easy to create as well.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I looked at the tutorial - one thing that i'm not sure about - I keep my pictures in "My Pictures" on my laptop but it doesn't give any indication you can capture images from there - it mentions a URL. I've never actually known what a URL is - the tutorial makes it look very simple - I'm encouraged.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

You can upload them from your computer. From your pictures, yes. instead of in the left hand side you have to look for a rectangle on top of the window that opens to you where it says CHOOSE FILES. Click there and you will be able to browse through your pictures.

The URL is the address of the photo like when you want to upload a picture from google images and open it in its size, what you get in the wwww.... etc on your bar on top. Like the website let's say.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

stevezodiac wrote:...the tutorial makes it look very simple - I'm encouraged.
Great... just jump in, create a blog and have a mess around with the blog settings, I'm sure that's how most of us got started. Remember you don't have to publicise your blog until you've created something that you're happy with. I'm sure with the comprehensive collection you've got you'll have no shortage of material to feature on your blog. Good luck, and see you in the blogosphere...

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Good luck with any blog should you take it up, Steve---put all that empherea to good use, old son!

In the meantime, I think that may be Terry Baves' son Russell who has just joined the pho-rum:

Welcome, RB!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

By the way, I bought last nite Terry's book. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

give us the lowdown after you see it, Ruth.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Ok! No problem!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I've just received my copy of Terry Bave's book from Lulu and it's a great, chunky volume that's well worth the money. It's Terry's autobiography (expanded and updated from his Golden Fun articles I think) and well illustrated with many of the strips he and Shiela created over the years.

There's also a very useful index of the various strips in the back.

Very good value. I hope that Terry's fans, and anyone interested in the history of British humour comics will purchase it. Remember, it's only available from Terry directly (via Lulu) so there's no use hanging around the pound shops waiting for remaindered copies to turn up. :lol:

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

are there reprints from DC Thomson in the book?
Winker Watson..Baby Herc.etc.

Will be getting it...though got carried away and spent a lot on comics recently..and the Lion index book..

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

One question I have been thinking about for a while. I know Terry draws the comics but what does his wife Shelia do? Do she help him with the drawing?