Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Leslie Caswell 
Author Message

Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:37
Posts: 817
Reply with quote
Here are some of the hidden gems in ''Princess' comic that I mentioned on my 'Royal Issues' post, lovely illustrations by Leslie Caswell. Hopefully you will find these of interest Norman? I did mean to get in touch about these before but it completly slipped my mind!

The scans below are from Princess comic 65/66.

Norman if you require anymore info please let me know.


Attachments:
Leslie.Caswell.1.jpg
Leslie.Caswell.1.jpg [ 213.44 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]
Leslie.Caswell.2.jpg
Leslie.Caswell.2.jpg [ 208.67 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]
Leslie.Caswell.3.jpg
Leslie.Caswell.3.jpg [ 244.46 KiB | Viewed 5748 times ]
18 Jan 2013, 04:50
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Posts: 4275
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA
Reply with quote
Really nice work, Matrix!

_________________
Baby Boomer Blog:

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.com/view/magazine


Image


Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us


18 Jan 2013, 05:47
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Posts: 130
Location: Essex, UK
Reply with quote
matrix wrote:
Here are some of the hidden gems in ''Princess' comic that I mentioned on my 'Royal Issues' post, lovely illustrations by Leslie Caswell. Hopefully you will find these of interest Norman? I did mean to get in touch about these before but it completly slipped my mind!
The scans below are from Princess comic 65/66.
Norman if you require anymore info please let me know.

WOW! Matrix - these are really interesting. Have I mentioned my some-times blog Visual Rants? I set it up when accumulating batches of magazines. Wanting only one or two of the batch I thought I'd share any nice artwork that touched me.

And having interviewed Mike Noble a long time ago found out about Leslie Caswell. Read the comment from his daughter on the blog! This work you've scanned shows his versatility in my opinion.

So you may feel as if you know nothing (as you stated elsewhere) but every little helps identify and share obscure work and brings joy.


18 Jan 2013, 21:07
Profile

Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:37
Posts: 817
Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments Rab, and Norman. Yes I had seen your blog Norman I discovered it after seeing his work in 'Princess', so thought you might like to see these illustrations. I did see his daughters comments that is good they are going to catalogue his work, I guess they have all the info on his work for 'Princess'?

Thanks.


19 Jan 2013, 01:03
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Posts: 130
Location: Essex, UK
Reply with quote
matrix wrote:
...I did see his daughters comments that is good they are going to catalogue his work, I guess they have all the info on his work for 'Princess'?
I would assume nothing. Do you have more info that you'd like to share with her. Wordpress allows me to see her email so I have it. If you do want to, let me know - my email address is Image, which easier than trying to find yours! :)


20 Mar 2013, 22:37
Profile

Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:37
Posts: 817
Reply with quote
That would not be a problem Norman, I have sent you an email in case you read this first.


21 Mar 2013, 03:08
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4513
Location: space city
Reply with quote
Going through some 50s Home Notes magazines last night looking for adverts in comic strip form I came across some of Leslie's work:

Image

Image

Image

Image


29 Mar 2013, 13:21
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Posts: 130
Location: Essex, UK
Reply with quote
Beautifully scanned. Would you mind sharing what settings you used as I found them hard work because of the way they're reproduced? Thanks for sharing


29 Mar 2013, 17:35
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4513
Location: space city
Reply with quote
Unfortunately I have no idea what settings I use as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I just have a cheap HP printer. It does have a brightness and contrast setting to make the image brighter and sharper. I suppose i could right click on the image and look at the "properties" would that provide the info you need?

By the way I have only just looked at your blog so didn't realise you were aware of the Home Notes stuff. Quite a lot of good artists worked on that publication. I have a soft spot for vintage women's magazines but mainly for the adverts and artwork. There were a few of those football programme sized titles. Home Chat and Everywomans being two others.


30 Mar 2013, 00:22
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Posts: 130
Location: Essex, UK
Reply with quote
stevezodiac wrote:
Unfortunately I have no idea what settings I use as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I just have a cheap HP printer. It does have a brightness and contrast setting to make the image brighter and sharper. I suppose i could right click on the image and look at the "properties" would that provide the info you need?

By the way I have only just looked at your blog so didn't realise you were aware of the Home Notes stuff. Quite a lot of good artists worked on that publication. I have a soft spot for vintage women's magazines but mainly for the adverts and artwork. There were a few of those football programme sized titles. Home Chat and Everywomans being two others.
Don't worry about the scanner settings, and thanks for the answer.

I too have a soft spot for the artwork in these magazines. It was the Frank Bellamy and Raymond Sheppard research that exposed me serendipitously to this stuff. And I thought I'd create the Visual Rants blog as a way of sharing this stuff....especially as I get rid of the physical copies after a while...not enough room!


30 Mar 2013, 12:53
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4513
Location: space city
Reply with quote
Here are two more Caswell pieces from a 1954 John Bull magazine.

Image

Image


06 Apr 2013, 21:59
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Posts: 130
Location: Essex, UK
Reply with quote
stevezodiac wrote:
Here are two more Caswell pieces from a 1954 John Bull magazine.
Thanks for sharing these. The strength of the figure work is brilliant.


08 Apr 2013, 19:38
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 14:22
Posts: 816
Location: UK
Reply with quote
standby4action wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:
Here are two more Caswell pieces from a 1954 John Bull magazine.
Thanks for sharing these. The strength of the figure work is brilliant.


And you can see the influence Caswell had on Mike Noble. :D

_________________
Gerry Anderson ComixComicArtFansCSO Cult TV ZineDr Who Fannual
- - -
Currently on eBay!


16 Apr 2013, 00:19
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4513
Location: space city
Reply with quote
I found another Caswell last night - in a copy of Princess.

Image


02 Oct 2013, 21:30
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Posts: 130
Location: Essex, UK
Reply with quote
For matrix, Shaqui and SteveZodiac, i thought you'd like to know I've just uploaded some more Caswell artwork including that sent by someone who sent me a comment on a previous post


22 Aug 2014, 18:23
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.