Mystery Puppy

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

babington

Mystery Puppy

Post by babington »

I bought this piece of cute animal original artwork today, and I'm thinking it must be from a children's book or annual from the 1950s. Does anyone recognize either the artist or the source?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Mystery Puppy

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I can't help you, I'm afraid, Babington, but very nice work indeed!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've seen that character before and think it is from a newspaper. Funnily enough I was in Greenwich market yesterday and one stall had some POGO books by Walt Kelly. The art reminded me of Harry Hargreaves who drew the Hayseeds strip in the London Evening News. The books were softback from the 50s with black and white strips but they were not priced and I hate asking stallholders how much an item is - they should price the things they sell!

babington

Post by babington »

I'll have to take a look at the Hayseeds. I came across Pogo by the comparisons with Jeff Smith's "Bone" which clearly borrows from Pogo and Disney. The Pogo comics include one of my favourite covers... the expressions on the beaver family's faces are inspired.

http://www.comics.org/issue/9359/cover/4/

babington

Post by babington »

I bought another one of these pictures today and this one says it's an illustration from "Fun and Frolic" - this looks like it's an annual. Anyone know any more about Fun and Frolic? Any idea which one this picture is from?