Does anyone recognize this art work?

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

sun-toys

Does anyone recognize this art work?

Post by sun-toys »

The name George Martin is written in pencil in script on the back. This is a two piece wooden cutout with a ribbon going between the two - the bear is biting & pulling on the character's suspenders.

Image Image

Please email me with any info at sun-toys@hotmail.com

Thanks

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Does anyone recognize this art work?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

it's a very nice piece, sun-toys, but it doesn't look like the work of George Martin who drew so much UK comics material like Send for Kelly and Greedy Pigg. [the only cartoonist I know with this name]: although it is possible he created this while young and unknown and before he developed his own style.

Great item, all the same!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I agree it doesn't really look like the style of the comics artist. Maybe it was the work of the Beatles' producer instead? (in which case it could be worth considerably more!) :)

- Phil R.

sun-toys

Post by sun-toys »

Is there an example of George Martin's signature? It's signed in pencil on the back but doesn't show up well in pictures. Does anyone have a copy of his signature we can compare it to?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sadly George was one of those artists who never signed his work even when the option was available to him, sun-toys----unless anyone on here knows differently?

sun-toys

Post by sun-toys »

Am really hoping to find out more on this....it was purchased in England before 1989 by a friends parents when they traveled which they did extensively throughout Europe from the 1970s through the 1980s. They liked to pickup humorous items to bring back as gifts.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The art style seems reminiscent of the 1940's cartoons, but that could be just my eyes going!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The artwork is certainly based on fairly early cartoon imagery-----the guy looks more like a character out of a USA newspaper strip of the 30s, and the bear wouldn't look out of place in an early colour Disney animation.

Of course, George Martin may simply have been striving for period effect, and dating this work exactly is fairly difficult.......

sun-toys

Post by sun-toys »

Thanks for your comments and expertise we've had more insight on this forum that any other place We were hoping to see signature confirmation but unfortunately George Martin didn't sign his name. Any other information will be greatly appreciated.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

you are very welcome, sun-toys, I'm just sorry we couldn't give you definitive information.