Dream-team comic

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kid Robson

Dream-team comic

Post by Kid Robson »

If you were tasked with producing a weekly comic for boys today, and could call upon the services of any artist (living, dead or retired, for the purpose of discussion) to work on it, who would you choose? (The type of comic I have in mind is something like the original Smash! - so humour and adventure artists would be required.)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Dream-team comic

Post by colcool007 »

KR, we have already done this in the You Are The Editor thread. It is always worth re-visiting.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

colcool007 wrote:KR, we have already done this in the You Are The Editor thread. It is always worth re-visiting.

Ooer, and there's me thinking I was being original. I'll leave it up for a while until you see my response and then delete the question. I don't really fancy going through every category whenever a question occurs to me to see if it's been asked before 'though, so inevitably I may post a question that's already been asked from time to time. I'll rely on people's tolerance if or when that does happen, and no doubt someone will let me know. Cheers.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

A lot of the time, it is only if someone recalls a thread that we point people in the direction of an old thread. As you can see from the titles, there's enough of a difference that you would never think of them being based around the same topic.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

colcool007 wrote:A lot of the time, it is only if someone recalls a thread that we point people in the direction of an old thread. As you can see from the titles, there's enough of a difference that you would never think of them being based around the same topic.
I took a quick look at that previous thread, 007, but it seems to be talking about reprints of past strips. I was thinking more along the lines of which artists would forum members (if they were editors) use in a comic today if all the greats were still still available as jobbing contributors. The actual strips, of course, would be all-new.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Your scenario reminds me of the American character Kid Eternity who could summon up anyone from history or literature to do his bidding. With such power comes great responsibility, so I'd obviously set William Shakespeare and Michelangelo to work on a revival of Gulliver Guinea-Pig! :)

- Phil R.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

philcom55 wrote:Your scenario reminds me of the American character Kid Eternity who could summon up anyone from history or literature to do his bidding. With such power comes great responsibility, so I'd obviously set William Shakespeare and Michelangelo to work on a revival of Gulliver Guinea-Pig! :)

- Phil R.
Nice one, Phil. Perhaps I should give my own choices? I'll have a ponder and return later. ("I'll Beee Baaack!")

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Colour adventure:
Frank Hampson and his studio would be a must, only with some modern techniques (digital cameras, so they could have their posed photos instantly, and 3D printers with an expert CGI modeller on hand, so they could have basic models to work from in hours, not weeks). With those time-saving extras, I'd give them four pages, the covers and inside covers.
Mike Noble
Frank Bellamy

Black and white adventure:
Jose Maria Jorge, doing a story about naval pilots, of course!
Denis McGlouglin

and for the humour:
The Etheringtons
Ken Reid
Leo Baxendale
Graham Dury

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

felneymike wrote:Colour adventure:
Frank Hampson and his studio would be a must, only with some modern techniques (digital cameras, so they could have their posed photos instantly, and 3D printers with an expert CGI modeller on hand, so they could have basic models to work from in hours, not weeks). With those time-saving extras, I'd give them four pages, the covers and inside covers.
Mike Noble
Frank Bellamy

Black and white adventure:
Jose Maria Jorge, doing a story about naval pilots, of course!
Denis McGlouglin

and for the humour:
The Etheringtons
Ken Reid
Leo Baxendale
Graham Dury

Some great choices there, Mike. I'd have the following artists on the adventure strips:

Mike Noble
Ron Embleton
J. Quiros
Luis Bermejo
Frank Hampson

(To name but a few.)

And on the humour strips, I'd have:

Leo Baxendale
Ken Reid
George Martin
Terry Bave
Davey Law

Of course, there's loads more to choose from, but we'll have to start another comic to accommodate them.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Humour strips:

Ken Reid
Leo Baxendale
Davy Law
Mike Lacey

Adventure strip:

Denis McLoughlin
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

I'd have

DDW - cover
2 page spread by Leo Baxendale
Ken Reid
Jimmy Hansen
Terry Bave
Alan Morely
Jamie Smart
Mitch
George Martin

And probably others that I can't think of right now.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Presuming we're mainly drawing on talent from the old UK comics scene to narrow things down a little:

Humour:

Leo Baxendale
Robert Nixon
Mike Lacey
John Geering
Terry Bave
Brian Walker
Frank McDiarmid
Sid Burgon
Trevor Metcalfe
Tom Williams
Ian Knox
Jamie Smart

Adventure:

Solano Lopez
Andrew Wilson
Mike Noble
Joe Colquhoun

Puzzle page by Cliff Brown.

I think writers are equally important, and I'd have a few ideas about those, too: Tom Tully would be head of adventure writing, and humour writers could include the guy who wrote the brightest, best written UK humour strip ever, Puss 'n' Boots (I forget his name; he went on to be a journalist) - original Sparky version, of course, not the radically dumbed down latterday versions, one or two of the late Fifties Beano staff writers, Jamie Smart, Alexander Matthews from today.

Mr McScotty

Post by Mr McScotty »

For Humour

Leo Baxendale
Ken Reid
Hunt Emerson

Humour/ adventure (like Brassneck etc)
Bill Holroyd
Tom Kerr

Adventure
Solano Lopez