Various picture libraries - identify the cover artists

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paddybrown

Various picture libraries - identify the cover artists

Post by paddybrown »

Picked up a few picture library titles last week, and I'm trying to identify the cover artists. First, the war titles.

The first is this rather striking two-colour image from Battle Picture Library no 912 (1975, reprinting an issue from 1963).

Next, an issue of Micron's Combat Picture Library from 1982. Not much background, but there's a lot of humanity in the face, more than you usually see in British war comics.

Finally, an issue of War Picture Library - can't find a date on this one. The thick brushwork make me think of Graham Coton, but I haven't seen enough of his work to be certain.

The romance titles will follow shortly.
--
Patrick Brown
paddybrown.co.uk

paddybrown

Re: Various picture libraries - identify the cover artists

Post by paddybrown »

Okay, now the romance ones. They're all issues of DC Thomson's Star: Love Stories in Pictures from 1987 and 1988. They're much tighter than the war covers - perhaps they were painted at a larger size.

"Prisoner of Love" in particular is a lovely composition, the high angle framed by the bleeding face to the left and the red-and-black face to the right. I'd guess that "Mission of Love" is probably the same artist, don't know about the other two.
--
Patrick Brown
paddybrown.co.uk