Five go off to camp Annual - artist unknown

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

standby4action

Five go off to camp Annual - artist unknown

Post by standby4action »

I visited the interesting Seven Stories in Newcastle the other day whilst on holiday and they had a nice display of Enid Blyton material including original art, letters, photos etc etc.

One feature left me puzzled. These pictures show two pages from "Five Go Off To Camp Annual" 1984 published by Purnell. BUT who is the artist? He looks so familiar but I have nothing to go on. Why do I want to know? Seven Stories had this listed as 'Artist Unknown' which I thought was sad especially as it was so recent....to an old man like me anyway.

I'll let them know if we find out....come on Phil, your challenge for today! And please forgive the blurry pix - shouldn't have been taking them anyway! The second picture is more in focus.
Image Image
Thanks

philcom55

Re: Five go off to camp Annual - artist unknown

Post by philcom55 »

I'm afraid I can't put a name to the 'unknown' artist either Norman - though I agree that the style seems nigglingly familiar. I wonder if they consulted Norman Wright, who appears to know everything there is to know about Enid Blyton?

Incidentally, I think some of that strip is reproduced in this year's Famous Five Annual as well - though sadly they don't include artwork credits either. :(

- Phil Rushton

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

None of the Enid Blyton annuals are credited, and yes there is a niggling familiarity to this style. :headbash: I have this edition, which I can post better scans/pictures of later.

Leslie Branton illustrated at least one edition, as well as some of the Secret Seven annuals.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Glad to have you looking at it, and am so pleased it's not just me! I'll see if I can get Norman Wright to have a look - I have his email somewhere! Thanks

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

I noticed that my local WHS currently has a Famous Five Annual on sale. Took a cursory look - seems to be in an old style, perhaps reprints.