Mike Dorey

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Mike Dorey

Post by colcool007 »

PM sent :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Do you need any examples of his work from 'Enid Blyton's adventure magazine' - warning these are full colour artwork, quite different from his usual dark, muddy tones!

Send me a PM if required

I'd class myself as a big mike Corey fan so will be fascinated to read whatever you can find out.
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

any update on this rat infested lunatic, col? I've been working 12 hour night shifts for the last four days, so I've had no chance to investigate.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

We have still not found him. I am half convinced that he either appeared in an another Mike Dorey commission or that we are conflating two characters together.

I am almost willing to bet a bag of jelly babies that I did see this character in the early 80's. And I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been a supporting character of Wolfie Smith.

Plus I have been shopping so you can check the comics bought thread to see the loot from this weekend! :lol:

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

ok, I've volunteered for a half day overtime this morning, but i'll scour my early 2000 ad's later tomorrow.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

OK guys. Thanks for all your help. I have now found my rat infested lunatic and it goes to show that you can't trust everything that is on the internet!

If you have issues 65 to 72 of 2000AD, then you will find that Blind Barty was the character we were looking for. A sort of tramp prophet that was friendly to MACH Zero.

What originally threw me was that Mike Dorey has not been credited as working on this strip whereas he actually shared artistic credentials with Ramon Sola for his part in drawing MACH Zero. So I had the job of going through each copy of 2000AD until I found the stories and then matching up the description with the character!

DCT have been kind enough to provide some scans of the original Wolverine run. And I now need to work my way through my Warlords to find Rayker, Kurt Stahlman and Peter Flint as illustrated by Mike.

I also need to work through 2000AD to find Bill Savage and Ro-Jaws as I have now found Blind Barty! :lol:

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

I wondered if Mike Dorey had any comment (or recollection) about his pseudonym 'J. Clough' in some issues of 2000AD? I recall speaking to someone else who worked on 2000AD (might have been Colin Wyatt) who said he was dubbed that as Mike Dorey used Jay Cloths for his distinctive 'ink dab' technique! :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Shaqui wrote:I wondered if Mike Dorey had any comment (or recollection) about his pseudonym 'J. Clough' in some issues of 2000AD? I recall speaking to someone else who worked on 2000AD (might have been Colin Wyatt) who said he was dubbed that as Mike Dorey used Jay Cloths for his distinctive 'ink dab' technique! :lol:
Darnit! You nicked a bit of my interview! :lol: He recollects the use of the pseudonym well, but his style was always so distinctive I was never fooled by it. But it was enough to keep the editors at DCT off his back!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

colcool007 wrote:
Shaqui wrote:I wondered if Mike Dorey had any comment (or recollection) about his pseudonym 'J. Clough' in some issues of 2000AD? I recall speaking to someone else who worked on 2000AD (might have been Colin Wyatt) who said he was dubbed that as Mike Dorey used Jay Cloths for his distinctive 'ink dab' technique! :lol:
Darnit! You nicked a bit of my interview! :lol: He recollects the use of the pseudonym well, but his style was always so distinctive I was never fooled by it. But it was enough to keep the editors at DCT off his back!
Sorry! It's just I'd always wondered if they were one and the same as the style was so similar, and it was only when Colin mentioned Jay Cloths that the penny dropped (after reading those comics more than 30 years ago!) over the name 'J Clough'!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Shaqui wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
Sorry! It's just I'd always wondered if they were one and the same as the style was so similar, and it was only when Colin mentioned Jay Cloths that the penny dropped (after reading those comics more than 30 years ago!) over the name 'J Clough'!
LOL. It's no problem. I must admit that the name threw me when I was younger as I thought it was pronounced Cluff as in Bryan Clough, so I never got the joke until recently.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Shaqui wrote:it was only when Colin mentioned Jay Cloths that the penny dropped (after reading those comics more than 30 years ago!) over the name 'J Clough'!
Where did Colin mention Jay Cloths?
colcool007 wrote:I thought it was pronounced Cluff as in Bryan Clough, so I never got the joke until recently.
I still don't get the joke. Where in the British Isles is Clough pronounced Cloth, or indeed any way other than Cluff?