Allan Morley and the reprinting of Keyhole Kate.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Allan Morley and the reprinting of Keyhole Kate.

Post by Kashgar »

At the moment Phil Shrimpton has an interesting piece of Allan Morley 'Keyhole Kate' artwork for sale. What is interesting about the strip is that, while it was indeed created in 1938 for inclusion in Dandy No 66 published in 1939, it is not now in the exact form in which it made its first appearance seventy-six years ago.
Like at least thirty of the first hundred 'Keyhole Kate' strips that were drawn in black and white for the Dandy's black and white page 2, including the 'Keyhole Kate' strip from Dandy No 1, this strip had red spot colour added to it when reprinted in the 1950's for Kate's then regular slot on the comics back page.
So, while this strip was drawn by Allan Morley in 1938, for its appearance in Dandy No 66 the following year, it is now actually in the form in which it was reprinted sixteen
years later in Dandy No 669(18/9/54).

philcom55

Re: Allan Morley and the reprinting of Keyhole Kate.

Post by philcom55 »

How interesting - I bet you're the only one who would have spotted that Kashgar! Presumably the same thing applies to the faint blue shading on my own piece of original Keyhole Kate artwork from (I think) Dandy #36? (I love the way in which Morley added the cat in frame 4 to balance the composition!)
Attachments
kk.jpg