Jeff Bevan

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Jeff Bevan

Post by colcool007 »

Jeff has done loads of covers for D C Thomson, but I am struggling to come up with a serial that he has done. Can anyone help coing up with one?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Jeff Bevan

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Col. He certainly did a few in the New Hotspur. Black Hawk springs to mind. I'll check and get back to you.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hopefully Kashgar will be able to confirm it but I think these three strips all featured Jeff's work.

Black Hawk (not to be confused with his DC Comics and Fleetway namesakes) is an interesting character in the mould of the Black Sapper - though unless the statue on Nelson's column has shrunk over the years this particular episode makes him seem unusually small! Does anybody know if this was his first appearance in comic strip form - and if so, did he ever appear in text stories beforehand?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Yes. All by Jeff Bevan. In the period 1962-1966 the Hotspur he drew Ruthless Ruff of the RFC 156-172, 344-358,Motor Bike Morgan 190-201, The Yellow Jersey 243-252, Grasshopper Green 311-328, Dicky Dunn 330-333,338-343and Black Hawk 362-376.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Is The Black Hawk the same character who later gave up crime and became a crime fighter? If so, yet another British character who reforms and fights crime. Love it!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thanks for looking guys. I had wondered if these were Jeff Bevan's art when I went passed them while I was looking for the Ron Smith art in the Hotspur but as I had only seen his coloured covers, I was not sure

It goes to prove that colouring the art does make a difference in it when you look at it to try and identify the artist.

Paw, indeed this goes back to our Scarlet Hawk/Black Hawk conversation where the Black Hawk's assistant is the silent Soyo. And he morphs into slightly more talkative Strogo.

Ray, as always, thanks for the steer as that will help to narrow down my research a fair bit.

Next will be hunting through the rest of my comics to see what other gems of Jeff's work can be found and attributed.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Now that's exciting. Thanks Colin. I fancy reading the stories from the start, see how it all pans out. Great stuff.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Col,
I've just stumbled across an old notebook in which I did a detailed breakdown of the content and artwork of the Rover 1961-1973. In the next few days I'll list all the cover artist details here as a good deal of work by Jeff Bevan and, indeed, Ron Smith is included.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Hi Col,
I've just stumbled across an old notebook in which I did a detailed breakdown of the content and artwork of the Rover 1961-1973. In the next few days I'll list all the cover artist details here as a good deal of work by Jeff Bevan and, indeed, Ron Smith is included.
Ray, you are definitely the giant upon whose shoulders I stand upon. That would be wonderful to see.