Norman Lee

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comixminx

Re: Norman Lee

Post by comixminx »

Looks like Norman Lee on the header artwork of this event! But we are aiming to talk about female creator and girls comics, rather than all creators.

http://www.houseofillustration.org.uk/w ... -type/talk

This is part of the Comics Creatrix exhibition on in London from now until April. On Sat 16 April at 3 pm, come and hear me and Dr Mel Gibson talk about women writers and artists who worked on British girls' comics of the 70s and 80s.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I went to see the excellent Mac Conner exhibition there last year. I'll definitely try to attend this as well if it's at all possible.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Apart from TV Tops and DC Thomson's various girls' weeklies another source of Norman's beautifully designed pages from the mid 1970s onward can be found in their girls' annuals, many of which continued to appear for years after the regular comics were discontinued. Here, for example, is a nice splash page from the 1980 Diana Annual.

One thing that always impresses me about Norman's art is the liveliness and character that shines out of his girls' faces. Given his background I can't help wondering if he made regular use of models for these.