Trying something new to identify unknown writers: help pls

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comixminx

Trying something new to identify unknown writers: help pls

Post by comixminx »

Hi folks: I'm going to try something that is probably new to this area of comics but I think I will need a little help from others, please.

I have been thinking about the problem of unknown writers and how we can try to identify them. In writing story posts on the Jinty blog, Briony and I sometimes raise questions about whether such and such a writer might have also written such and so other story, based on things like similar plot lines and the like. But there are pieces of software out there that people have used to analyse things like Shakespeare's writings, with interesting results. I want to try to use one of those pieces of software, one called JGAAP, to see if we can get any help in thinking about who might have written what, in some cases at least.

The thing is that I will need to add some Known Authors into the mix in order to get any sensible answers when looking at stories that we don't know the author of. That means I need some text files (as many as possible) which are typed-up versions of stories where we already know the authors, such as the below:
* Jay Over, Slave of the Clock / The Secret of Angel Smith / The Lonely Ballerina from Tammy 1982 and 19833
I can do the first two but haven't got any copies of The Lonely Ballerina

* Alison Christie (various credited stories in Tammy including episodes of The Button Box)
* Pat Mills, various stories including Moonchild in Misty and Concrete Surfer in Jinty
* Alan Davidson, Fran of the Floods / The Valley of Shining Mist / Gwen's Stolen Glory in Jinty
* Malcolm Shaw, The Robot Who Cried in Jinty

Can any one help by typing up one or more episodes from the stories mentioned, and sending them to me? I need to determine a good standard format to use because I think it would be important to be consistent about things like how to indicate thought balloons or the text boxes at the beginning of each episode, but we could work that out together if anyone was interested in volunteering to help.

Very many thanks in advance!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Trying something new to identify unknown writers: help p

Post by colcool007 »

You can add J T Edson to that mix as it is known that he wrote The Town Tamers for Victor.

I would love to help but I am up to my eyes in feeling the love for Jeff Bevan.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

colcool007 wrote:You can add J T Edson to that mix as it is known that he wrote The Town Tamers for Victor.

I would love to help but I am up to my eyes in feeling the love for Jeff Bevan.
Maybe another time, Col??!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I have got a bit further with this - my results so far (inconclusive but intriguing) are detailed on the Jinty blog here:
https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... writers-3/

If anyone were able to type up any stories (I can supply scans) that would be fantastic - having ones supplied by others has definitely helped this experiment to move on.