The worst DCThomson artist

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

The worst DCThomson artist

Post by AndyB »

If you look closely at Big Head and Tough Head in the reproduced 1966 Dandy in the World Cup edition in 2006, you'll see it's drawn by Jimmy Hughes. The giveaway is one of the guest characters' mouths, then you see the characteristic ruled lines.

keithrobson

Re: The worst DCThomson artist

Post by keithrobson »

Nik Brennan is a genius!
The worst DCThomson artist must be the guy who latterly drew Winker Watson like a very amateurish Tintin...

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think I KNOW WHO YOU MEAN, [not ERIC ROBERTS the original artist], but a fairly recent adaptation.....reminds me a bit of half-finished JAPANESE ANIME......not to my taste, but probably loved by someone, somewhere!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I have to disagree. Stephen White is far better than Henry Davies. Eek.

(Stephen's work on Winker takes some getting used to, but...)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Whoever did the Commando comic "Deep Secret" (amongst a few others), a brillaint story ruined by "through a bathroom window" scribbly-looking art. I was that annoyed i was even thinking of re-drawing it myself... but i have enough to be going on with

TomRaymondUK

Post by TomRaymondUK »

Peter Gray wrote:I found Tom Paterson's art on Buster too strong as a kid.......being brought up on Reg Parletts version......I didn't like seeing him getting hurt every week...
But who can take Paterson's wacky comic violence seriously?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Looking through some mid-seventies Beezers for another forum on this site I noticed the strip Blubba which I always hated. I have no idea who the artist was but did not like his style at all and to this day I still wonder why the editor gave the strip the full colour centre pages. It was very weak. Did the artist draw any other strips?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I think the Blubba artist was a guy called Watson Kennedy (I'll double check later). As far as I can recall he did draw one or two other things for the Beezer but not for any other comics.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Was Blubba the story about the Polar Bear? Or am I thinking of another bear story?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

No Col, Blubba (Beezer Nos 968-1078) was a shape shifting alien marooned on Earth. Wasn't Blubber Bear hill-billy Luke's nervous companion in the Arkansas Chug-a-Bug in Wacky Races?

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Oh you mean Blubba and the Bear, the one from Nutty. Reprinted in the Dandy last year :(
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Totally forgot about that strip Conor. Andrew Christine was the artist if I remember rightly.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

You're right Kash. I have always enjoyed Andrew Christine's work since I first saw it doing the spot illustrations in Wizard. But it did take until Beau Peep was picked up by the dailies for me to positively identify who the artist was. The interesting thing is there is quite a bit of AC's work in Monster Fun, so a bit of moonlighting there methinks! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!