From The Horses Mouth!

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain Storm

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi all,I have permission to reproduce here the full email sent me by Brian of Crikey in answer to some of my queries :
Cap,

Thanks for your support. A project like Crikey! needs all the help it can get. As some of the comments on the thread have pointed out, we might not know everything about British comics but we couldn't sit around forever waiting for someone to create something. So we plunged in. We know how how to write and we know what we love. What we need now is more people who have the knowledge to get involved. Our next issue already has a few new writers and others are submittig ideas all the time. So let's grow this thing.

I notice a few people have picked up on the money side. Our first run was 500 copies with around 75 of them given away to friends and for PR. 300 or so have gone to places like Travelling Man, Forbidden Planet International and a few independents (outlets are on our website). If anyone thinks we are making money on this, just take a copy to your local printer and ask for a 500 copy quote.

We're going for another 1000 copies (this time round the printer won't print 500 copies). The gamble for us is that events like the ABC fair in London and a few other places helps us to move them -- and also to have a stock for back issue sales as we get to issues five, six and seven. Forward planning -- but still expensive.

Issue one had no paid ads. Issue two will probably have no paid ads. Do the maths and you'll see that this one comes from the heart.

As for errors. We've had a few. From issue two we'll have an errors and ommisions type box out. But we rely on people getting in touch so that the record can be kept straight.

We've also decided to include British comics from all periods. That came through loud and clear in the emails we received. So expect articles on Harrier, undergrounds, London Editions (I worked there for five years as Managing Editor) and small press. If it's British, it's in. We're very responsive to people and whilst we will never surrender editorial control and need to have a vision for Crikey! it has to evolve to reflect what people want to read.

As I say, thanks for the kind words so far. Now let's get the next several issues out.

Cheers,
Brian
Hope that at least answers a few people's questions. :wink:

Earl

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Earl »

Thanks for posting it.

Interesting that issue 1 only had a print run of 500.

Earl.

Earl

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Earl »

BTW - Where is the long Cricky thread?

Captain Storm

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Captain Storm »

Yeah,that does intrigue me...I do believe it is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kashgar
Guru

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Kashgar »

Nice to see the Crikey editor's 'mission statement'.
What? Does this mean that the original Crikey thread is lost forever. Shame, there was a nice lively debate going on in its pages.
BTW the 'Nutty Notions' entry was actually mine. I forgot to sign in.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: From The Horses Mouth!

Post by AndyB »

Kashgar wrote:Nice to see the Crikey editor's 'mission statement'.
What? Does this mean that the original Crikey thread is lost forever. Shame, there was a nice lively debate going on in its pages.
I wondered too! We're still trying to find it...

Captain Storm

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Captain Storm »

Al has said he will try and retrieve it from his backup database which is good enough for me.Also we have our first "locked forum" folks! :shock:
I suppose it cuts out a lot of flannel.Just hope it doesn't lock me out when I'm reaching my zenith in future posts! :twisted: If it does I'm sending Adam Eterno and Starhawk over to sort things out! :P

colcool007
Mr Valeera

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by colcool007 »

:offtopic1: :offtopic1: I am sure that I speak for the mods and Al when I say that no-one will get ever get locked out for talking comics. The thread was closed as it was obvious that the thread was going nowhere and Al had said that it was an update oversight. :offtopic1: :offtopic1:
BTW is anyone else looking at throwing together an article for Crikey? I'm going to try and draft up an article on Victor, but will be picking Kash's and George Low's brains to make sure that I don't make too many glaring errors! :shock:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

From The Horses Mouth!

Post by Captain Storm »

Al is cool about it,I'm cool about it and you are ColCool :P BTW,I am getting really nervous as the deadline for my Adam Eterno article approaches.I'm sure yours will outshine mine by a mile :cry: