Crikey 4

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Crikey 4

Post by colcool007 »

Just received my copy today, and I am very impressed with the improvement from issue 1. The articles have a lot more reference material (and even more importantly, credits) so that it satisfies my inner geek. I didn't see any major errors, but I did get one of my own corrected as I always thought that it was Andrew Christie, not Christine that drew Beau Peep! Overall, 9/10 from this subscriber.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

NP

Re: Crikey 4

Post by NP »

Due to a last minute mistake, the Countdown article included a sidebar about the annual that they'd been advised to remove, seeing as it was wrong. They have indicated they will print a correction in issue 6.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

NP wrote:Due to a last minute mistake, the Countdown article included a sidebar about the annual that they'd been advised to remove, seeing as it was wrong. They have indicated they will print a correction in issue 6.
Just in case they forget to add corrections (as they seem to have forgotten so far :roll: ), to clarify, the article claims that Countdown was first tried out as a Countdown Annual in 1970. This is untrue. Polystyle did release a UFO Annual in 1970 but it contained no strips. The first Countdown Annual was published in 1971 (dated 1972), released several months after issue one of the weekly.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

It would improve now my subscription runs out. Anybody got anything else positive to say? i may have to start getting it again if it's made a decent improvement

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The Steve Holland article on Capt Phantom, My comic Saturday by Dave Gibbons, the Andy Capp article by David Robinson, the Jenni Scott article on girls comics (especially interesting as I am doing OU in Social Sciences), Nutty Notions with actual credits.

The weakest part of the magazine was probably the overview of Spellbound and the Ian Kennedy in Space article ( and as a dedicated Ian Kennedy fan, that takes some saying!) This issue is light years away from issue 1 and 2 and we continue to see a major improvement in the standard of articles.

The only sour note (to me) was in the letters page when my article on Victor was mentioned. Is that a criticism or a compliment. Was my article too short or too light on detail? Hopefully, the reader will be a tad more impressed with the True Stories article that I have done. Next on my list is Kampgruffe Falken and I hope to do that justice. Just got a few comics to get in my Warlord collection to make sure that I don't miss out on any of the canon!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:It would improve now my subscription runs out. Anybody got anything else positive to say? i may have to start getting it again if it's made a decent improvement
Overall it's a big improvement. For me, Jenni Scott's analysis on girls' comics was a highpoint of the issue. Well written, informative, and well researched. What a pity that the editor felt it necessary to forewarn the readers with the words "Remember: It was originally written for egg-heads", and how condescending! Does he think readers only want bright and breezy features?

That, plus their reluctance to print corrections of their blunders in earlier issues, has made me undecided about resubscribing at present. I will definitely be buying issue 5, but perhaps I'll get it off the rack in comic shops rather than committing to the next four issues up front. I know that doesn't help Crikey's finances, but on the whole the first four issues left me feeling a little short-changed in their depth of coverage and accuracy so I'm not sure that I'm the type of reader they're aiming at.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi folks, I do think that Crikey No4 was a vast improvement on earlier issues and this is not because I contributed much to the issue myself. In fact the only piece I felt qualified to add my two penn'orth to was Nutty Notions for which I provided the artist/strip details although,even here, one of the artist's names was spelt incorrectly as the artist for 'The Last Six Hundred' should have been should have been written as Jean Merie with two e's.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Hi folks, I do think that Crikey No4 was a vast improvement on earlier issues and this is not because I contributed much to the issue myself. In fact the only piece I felt qualified to add my two penn'orth to was Nutty Notions for which I provided the artist/strip details although,even here, one of the artist's names was spelt incorrectly as the artist for 'The Last Six Hundred' should have been should have been written as Jean Merie with two e's.
I did spot that credits had been added to the Nutty Notions and it certainly lifted my appreciation of the fanzine overall. Must remember to renew my subscription as well! :lol: