Crikey 6 - Beano special

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Crikey 6 - Beano special

Post by AndyB »

Has this come out yet on subscription? I haven't seen it in Forbidden Planet yet in Belfast.

Lew Stringer

Re: Crikey 6 - Beano special

Post by Lew Stringer »

My sub ran out, but I haven't seen it in comic shops around here yet either.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I haven't heard anything from Brian the editor since I sent him my list of article corrections which must be getting on for two months ago. Slightly worrying.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Brian's regular Crikey! It's Saturday column on the Forbidden Planet International website missed last Saturday, and so far it's not there today either. He could just be on holiday of course.

Anyway, I'll say no more or someone might accuse us of "exchanging messages in secret" about the 'zine on a public forum again. :wink:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And in my case, I live in Belfast, so things get here a little bit more slowly than they do to England ;)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I never imagined life in BELFAST would ever be uneventful, ANDY!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Brian has just been in touch and he informs me that those who have Crikey subs will have their copies of the next edition posted out on Friday.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Tell him I'm looking forward to picking it up in Forbidden Planet as and when! Is everything ok with him?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Seems so, he's just come back from holiday.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

They usually have a stand at the ABC show (This Sunday, folks) so i'll pick up a copy then (and the previous issue too). The one thing that never fails to amaze me about these cons is that, no matter how hot and humid it is, there are always some blokes with heavy coats on - usually bearded too - how do they stand it? Must be aliens.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

My copy of Crikey No 6, a DC Thomson Special, has just arrived so subscription copies etc should now be available.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:My copy of Crikey No 6, a DC Thomson Special, has just arrived so subscription copies etc should now be available.
And your thoughts on it are...? *says him that is fishing for accuracy check on published article*
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Col, Nice to see you back. In my opinion Crikey continues to improve and as to your own article it was a really good read and certainly felt like it was written by someone who knew what he was talking about, which I'm sure you do.
The only thing I can add to it is the answer to the question you posed re why, after No 765, they stopped giving the Victor cover strips individual titles? They did this because felt that in many instances the titles were obscuring the artwork beneath and that, without them, the covers would look all the more eye-catching. Whether or not you think they were right is, of course, a matter of personal taste.
Hope we see another article by you in the pages of Crikey soon.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Thanks for the kind words Ray. My next article is going to be on Sven Hassel 101 or as most of us know it as Kampgruffe Falken. Already dug out a few surprises courtesy of Bill Graham, one of Warlord's stalwart editors and he has kindly agreed to proof-read the article before I submit it.

I enjoyed the whole issue this time around with the right mix, for me, of nostalgia and facts. If Crikey keeps to this level, then I will be more than happy to keep my subscription ad infinitum.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Picked up Crikey! in Forbidden Planet Nottingham on Saturday (first issue I'd bought for a while) - very enjoyable, aside from the odd jumbled reference (pile of mash with cow horns? Come on! We all know it's pile of mash with sausages sticking out OR pie with cowhorns. No hybridization permitted :wink: )

I'm just curious, assuming it wasn't made up to catch us young/unwary types out, does anyone have any scans of that strip about the cursed footballer (The Hoodoo on Dan Magoo, I think it was called?) Seriously, I so want to read that! :lol: