Christmas Comic Cover Gallery!

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Christmas Comic Cover Gallery!

Post by Lew Stringer »

During December, at various periods, I'll be uploading old Christmas comic covers to my blog. Take a look at the first selection today:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2008/12 ... art-1.html

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Christmas Comic Cover Gallery!

Post by Kashgar »

Great to see the cover of the 1969 Xmas Buster up there Lew. I remember buying this on the Saturday before Xmas on the family's traditional pre-Yuletide jaunt to Newcastle and reading it in bed the following day when I was stricken down with a mild stomach bug. I've gotten the issue in my own collection but like most things you collect they are stored away and you don't actually see them for years so this was timely reminder to get this comic out of storage and give it another long overdue look-see.
BTW the 1970 Sparky cover was drawn by Vic Neill, the then current artist on Peter Piper, the character who can be seen scrawling the message in the snow with his magic pipes in the foreground and the 1958 Dan Dare Eagle cover is by Frank Hampson. Also re Alfie the Air-Tramp the artist is, as you rightly surmised, John Jukes.

Raven

Post by Raven »

The Sparky and TV Comic covers are especially nice. I like the addition of winter hats to Tom and Jerry in their title panel.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Raven wrote:The Sparky and TV Comic covers are especially nice. I like the addition of winter hats to Tom and Jerry in their title panel.
Digging out these comics doesn't take long and it's great to see the variety of approaches used on Christmas covers over the decades. The Carol Singing theme seems the most common but every aspect of Christmas is used. More updates today with a new batch of covers from Valiant to Viz!

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/

Lew