Website with annual covers not on Comics UK!

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Website with annual covers not on Comics UK!

Post by Digifiend »

http://books.littleoak.com.au/

Australian site - bit puzzled at that because these annuals were only sold in the UK. Not complete by any means, in fact for some weird reason it shows every Beano and Dandy annual cover except 2007 and 2008 (Comics UK has those anyway, but is missing 2009, which the Oz site has).

There are definitely some covers there which are not here on Comics UK - I haven't checked the entire site, but taking Champion as an example, Comics UK is missing 1937, but the Littleoak site has that one (although it's missing 1936, which CUK does have).

Could be worth a look - and maybe Al could get in touch with them about pooling resources! There's an email address on the site, I've just used it to let them know that there's no Beezer Book 2004 or 2005 - there were placeholders for them.

It would probably rival the Annuals/Books section here at Comics UK if it was only complete...

Elliotgc

Re: Website with annual covers not on Comics UK!

Post by Elliotgc »

Raven

Post by Raven »

The Tony's Trading galleries are great. I especially like the galleries of UK Disney comic and annual covers, with all those lovely Disneyland art covers.

Elliotgc

Post by Elliotgc »

Tony has lost his job and has no money, so he might not be able to keep the website going anymore. If you want to help him, you can donate money. He even tried selling his collection on ebay, so he must be desperate! It didn't sell and he's trying to sell his stamp collection for £15000 instead.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Enormous-Annual-C ... 1|294%3A50

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That site has a lot of non-comic annual covers as well. TV shows, sci-fi, and as you say Disney all have their own sections. No girls titles and very few boys comic titles for some reason though.

I get the feeling the gap in the Power Rangers gallery (under sci-fi annuals) could be due to non-existence in those years - seems too much of a coincidence that the page goes from MMPR to Turbo, then Ninja Storm onwards - Turbo was the end of the franchise's peak popularity, and NS is the first TV season made by Disney, which does annuals for most of its properties. Not only that, there was a Fox Kids annual for 2000 (listed under cartoon annuals, other), and Wild Force, the season before Ninja Storm, is featured on the cover. PR seems to be the only page with any placeholders.

I see the Incredible Hulk had two annuals out together - a 2004 dated one based on the comic book, and another based on the 2003 film. Must be unusual for the same character to have multiple dedicated annuals in the same year.

Just saw Elliot's post as I tried to add the above: :shock: Yikes! That auction closed three weeks ago, but no wonder it didn't sell, he was asking for a quarter of a million pounds! He should break up the collection if he hopes to sell some. Some of the galleries don't fit Comics UK's remit (specifically, any annual not based on a comic), so Al can't help with preserving the content. If Tony's Trading closes, the last archived version is here: http://web.archive.org/web/200802020548 ... ing.co.uk/ - some images missing, but most seem to be there. Hope it doesn't become necessary though. :(

Elliotgc

Post by Elliotgc »

Thanks for that link, hope I don't have to use it though haha. Yeah I thought that was very expensive, although I got excited as it's similar to my collection! He relisted it and then removed it. Ebay listed the reason as - item no longer listed for sale, so I emailed him asking if it was still for sale and he said that he couldn't bear to part with it, and was kind of glad that it hadn't sold. His photos of his collections on the website are really impressive, but it's not surprising that he has no money left!