My Cage: American comic, UK humour?

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Ed Power

My Cage: American comic, UK humour?

Post by Ed Power »

Hi all,

My name is Ed Power. I do a comic strip called 'My Cage' for King Features Syndicate in the US.

My friend who lives in England keeps saying I should promote the comic in the UK because the humour seems British. I wasn't sure as, although I'm a big fan of British humour, it seemed presumptuous (for lack of a better word).

But then I watch a Biography episode about Rowan Atkinson and one of the commentators said (and I'm severely paraphrasing here), that he felt one of the reasons 'Mr. Bean' isn't as popular in the US as it is in America is because everything in America has to be BIG and Mr. Bean is about just getting through the simplest of tasks.

And that's what my comic is about! :D

So here I am. My comic is called 'My Cage' and is about a platypus named Norman who works at a soul-crushing job for a multi-national corporation named McGuffin Inc. (mostly, because we never say what they do). He secretly wants to be a writer, but the truth is he isn't a very good one.

Here is a sample:

Or you can check out our daily strip here:

http://www.timesunion.com/comics/?feature_id=My_Cage

And you can contact my artist and I through our website at http://www.mycagecomic.com .

I hope you take the time to read it and write to us. I think we're doing some good work, if I do say so myself. :)

Let me know what you think, and thanks for your time!

Best,
-Ed

Digifiend

Re: My Cage: American comic, UK humour?

Post by Digifiend »

King Features Syndicate - that's also the distributor of The Sun's Hagar the Horrible. Surely KFS must therefore have contacts to get your work published in a British newspaper?

Ed Power

Re: My Cage: American comic, UK humour?

Post by Ed Power »

They can pitch it, but getting a pitching something and getting a paper to buy it are 2 different things.

We're a new strip, and it's tough to get papers to take a gamble on a new strip...especially in today's market.

So, I'm trying the internet. ;)