New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

Post by tony ingram »

Terry Pratchett revisited the idea with the 'traveling shops' in his Discworld series, but I still can't think where I first came across it. Alan Class rings a bell, though. But then, Alan Class reprinted so much from so many different sources that I suppose that's not very helpful...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have been consulting my copy of The Encyclopedia Of Fantasy by John Clute and John Grant. They come up with a small selection of shops that have vanished when one tries to return to them. These include The Chaser by John Collier, The Bureau D'Echange de Maux by Lord Dunsany, Shottle Bop by Theodore Sturgeon, Bazaar Of The Bizarre by Fritz Lieber and Shoppe Keeper by Harlan Ellison. I might have read one or more of them, but from only seeing the title I simply can't be sure.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I went back to the shop tonight and it was all boarded up and covered with old posters advertising Jackie Pallo v Mick McManus, Joyce Grenfell's stage show, the new single from Herman's Hermits and Norman Wisdom's latest film. As I walked away I heard a maniacal laugh from above. Daft I call it.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

stevezodiac wrote:Yes I went back to the shop tonight and it was all boarded up and covered with old posters advertising Jackie Pallo v Mick McManus, Joyce Grenfell's stage show, the new single from Herman's Hermits and Norman Wisdom's latest film. As I walked away I heard a maniacal laugh from above. Daft I call it.
I am not entirely sure I believe this...hmm...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:Yes I went back to the shop tonight and it was all boarded up and covered with old posters advertising Jackie Pallo v Mick McManus, Joyce Grenfell's stage show, the new single from Herman's Hermits and Norman Wisdom's latest film. As I walked away I heard a maniacal laugh from above. Daft I call it.
Many a true word spoken in jest. In 1974 I found a small shop in the back streets of Blackpool full of imported American comics, - including many titles that never usually reached UK newsagents. It was like a comic shop before comic shops existed! In my many visits to Blackpool since I've never found that shop again. Spooky! :o

(I'm sure the truth was the shop was just on a short lease and the owner had somehow obtained those comics as ships' ballast. Gah. I've gone and ruined my spooky story now. :lol: )

Lew

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

I only have four issues of Crikey (I tend to pick one up whenever I see it) I like it but would like to see a few more interviews with current artists, not that there is anything wrong with the current approach. I just think an interview with someone whos working heavily in the industry would give the readers a better view of the current state of comics rather than a nostalgic view, just a suggestion though Tony and one I have made after only reading four issues.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Steve Henderson wrote:I only have four issues of Crikey (I tend to pick one up whenever I see it) I like it but would like to see a few more interviews with current artists, not that there is anything wrong with the current approach. I just think an interview with someone whos working heavily in the industry would give the readers a better view of the current state of comics rather than a nostalgic view, just a suggestion though Tony and one I have made after only reading four issues.
Well, rather more writers than artists here obviously, but we interviewed Leah Moore, John Reppion, Lee O'Connor and Pat Mills in the latest issue and we've more coming up, so I think we're a bit more 'current' now than we were. We've also now introduced the strip section specifically in order to showcase new material (which doesn't mean that's all it'll have in it, but you get the idea...). It's a bit of a balancing act, though; yes, we want to make people aware that comics are still alive and well, but we're nonetheless aware that the majority of the mag's readership buy it for the nostalgia aspect. But we're trying to get the balance right.

Steve Henderson

Yes I enjoyed this month issue and I appriciate balance is a key factor to any magazine success, Being a wannabe artist I wouldn't mind seeing a Tom Paterson interview or someone similar (hes been doing it since school so would make interesting reading, as would others) but still good work on this months issue forgive my slight preference to artists over writers!

Will we be getting a continued history of Doctor who in the comics?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Steve Henderson wrote:Yes I enjoyed this month issue and I appriciate balance is a key factor to any magazine success, Being a wannabe artist I wouldn't mind seeing a Tom Paterson interview or someone similar (hes been doing it since school so would make interesting reading, as would others) but still good work on this months issue forgive my slight preference to artists over writers!

Will we be getting a continued history of Doctor who in the comics?
Yes, part two takes up the story with Doctor Who Weekly, then further down the line we'll be covering The Dalek Chronicles. Tom Paterson isn't a bad idea, in fact...

Steve Henderson

tony ingram wrote:Tom Paterson isn't a bad idea, in fact...
Ha ha you tease!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I've just obtained my copy of Crikey 12 and while I haven't read it all yet it seems a grand issue.
Re the Frank Mac Diarmid interview and what Frank drew for Eagle he was referring to Billy Binns, a strip which had begun in Boy's World where it was drawn by Bill Mainwaring, and Blunderbirds. Neither of these strips appeared in the 1970's of course as Eagle had been subsumed by Lion by then but given that Frank was giving us his memories off the cuff so to speak a few years miscalculation is readily understandable.
As to this mysterious 'lost shop' idea one of my favourite stories featuring a variation on this conceit was in the Knockout in 1962 (reprinted in the 1968 Valiant Annual) and was titled 'No 13 Grimm Street' which begins one cold, dark night when a newspaper reporter sees a man enter this eponymous London address only to discover the next morning that the address in question no longer exists, it having been destroyed in the Blitz twenty years before.
There was also a nice Xmas story in a copy of Bullseye which had a man spend a night at a remote inn on Xmas Eve only to discover, when he visits it subsequently, that it's been a ruin for centuries. (Shades of that brilliantly eerie war-time film 'Halfway House').

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

All preceded by M. R. James' Room Thirteen.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Brendan McGuire wrote:All preceded by M. R. James' Room Thirteen.
Yes! I remember that, now! But was it the first?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Strictly speaking the M R James story isn't titled Room 13 but 'Number 13' and as to whether it was the first story to use the disappearing room as a device I would doubt it. I'm sure one of the earlier doyens of supernatural literature in the 19th century must have beaten him to it.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

I stand corrected, Kashgar. The ole memory isn't what it was. I almost called it Room 12a.