New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

Post by tony ingram »

The new and improved Crikey! will be on sale from this Thursday from all the usual outlets, plus branches of Borders and selected newsagents. The cover price is still the same but everything else is new and improved as the page count rises from 48 to 84, and we're now in full colour throughout. Features include the ongoing saga of Marvelman, interviews with Dez Skinn, outgoing DC Thomson editor Euan Kerr, Steve Holland on Bear Alley's new reprint line and Pete Nash on Striker and why he's finally winding up the saga of Nick Jarvis after 24 years, plus...well, see below...

tony ingram

Re: New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

Post by tony ingram »

We also look at classic newspaper strip Carol Day...

...and introduce this guy (his name is Hatch)...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That Striker montage must be a couple of seasons old, judging by the absence of a sponsor. In the last couple of seasons, The Sun's logo has been used.

Nice pic of Dennis on the Crikey cover. :)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:That Striker montage must be a couple of seasons old, judging by the absence of a sponsor. In the last couple of seasons, The Sun's logo has been used.

Nice pic of Dennis on the Crikey cover. :)
Well, the Striker montage is drawn from more or less random images, which probably explains it. It was kind of a toss-up between Striker and Dennis on the cover, but we eventually decided since this was the first issue going out to the high street stores we'd better go with the most immediately recognisable character...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Brilliant! I'm amazed you're boosting it's page count from 48 to 84! Hope it does well. I'll plug it on my blog when I pick up a copy.

Will it actually be on sale in Borders this Thursday or is that the day you'll send it to them. (Only asking 'cos I might be near a Borders on Thursday.)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:Brilliant! I'm amazed you're boosting it's page count from 48 to 84! Hope it does well. I'll plug it on my blog when I pick up a copy.

Will it actually be on sale in Borders this Thursday or is that the day you'll send it to them. (Only asking 'cos I might be near a Borders on Thursday.)

Lew
Thanks, Lew-appreciated, as is aall your support in recent months. It'll actual be in Borders on Thursday, or should be-they're all going out today.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Haven't read it yet Tony but it looks like a great issue! Nice varied content.

Surprisingly I bought my copy in a newsagents in the centre of Birmingham. They had two copies, shelved with The Beano.

Borders had a huge pile of them. It took me a while to find them though. Shelved with the comics? No. With the SF mags and Tripwire comics magazine? No. With the arts mags? No.

It was beside Esquire in the Men's Lifestyle section!

There you go; comic collecting is now a "lifestyle". But apparently for men only. :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:Haven't read it yet Tony but it looks like a great issue! Nice varied content.

Surprisingly I bought my copy in a newsagents in the centre of Birmingham. They had two copies, shelved with The Beano.

Borders had a huge pile of them. It took me a while to find them though. Shelved with the comics? No. With the SF mags and Tripwire comics magazine? No. With the arts mags? No.

It was beside Esquire in the Men's Lifestyle section!

There you go; comic collecting is now a "lifestyle". But apparently for men only. :lol:

Lew
We were told by Borders it would be on sale in 'selected outlets'. We weren't told how many. I've just got the list. I gave up counting about halfway down page five, on a branch of Costcutter somewhere. I think I'm in shock...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sounds like it's available in every branch, and then some. Good news for you! :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

84 pages in full colour - looks like a lot of work is going into it. It could (i hope) become a UK version of Alter Ego with some in depth interviews with comic creators now they have the space. They could ask us here to submit images for future articles.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

stevezodiac wrote:84 pages in full colour - looks like a lot of work is going into it. It could (i hope) become a UK version of Alter Ego with some in depth interviews with comic creators now they have the space. They could ask us here to submit images for future articles.
It is entirely possible we'll take you up on that. Incidentally, speaking of interviews, we have Rufus Dayglo on Tank Girl penciled in for #12...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

tony ingram wrote:We were told by Borders it would be on sale in 'selected outlets'. We weren't told how many. I've just got the list. I gave up counting about halfway down page five, on a branch of Costcutter somewhere. I think I'm in shock...
Just spotted a copy in one of my local independent newsagents. If I'd known that yesterday it'd have saved me a trip to Brum. Never mind. :lol:

Lew

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
tony ingram wrote:We were told by Borders it would be on sale in 'selected outlets'. We weren't told how many. I've just got the list. I gave up counting about halfway down page five, on a branch of Costcutter somewhere. I think I'm in shock...
Just spotted a copy in one of my local independent newsagents. If I'd known that yesterday it'd have saved me a trip to Brum. Never mind. :lol:

Lew
You're in a better position than me, Lew. Having now received the full list, we seem to be potentially in over 900 outlets nationwide. And not one of them is in South Suffolk. In fact, the part of the country I live in appears to be the only one not served by the distributors; the nearest address on the list to me is a shop in Bury St Edmunds. This is fairly typical of my luck, lately. :(

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'm a subscriber, but is it available in Ireland anywhere for me to suggest it to others? Nice interview with Euan!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

tony ingram wrote:Having now received the full list, we seem to be potentially in over 900 outlets nationwide. And not one of them is in South Suffolk. In fact, the part of the country I live in appears to be the only one not served by the distributors; the nearest address on the list to me is a shop in Bury St Edmunds. This is fairly typical of my luck, lately. :(
So not good news for you after all. :oops: :sorry: Talk about sod's law. Any of those outlets happen to be in Hull?