Comics websites from USA.

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Comics websites from USA.

Post by stevezodiac »

I noticed a couple of ads for comic websites in the latest Alter Ego. The GCD one has been running for a while now but I never thought of putting it up here.
Attachments
ebay sept 09 119.jpg
ebay sept 09 120.jpg

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Comics websites from USA.

Post by felneymike »

comics.org has limited British coverage. I'm pretty sure i saw the Beano on there and there's a decent number of Commando cover scans... i'm not sure "every comic book ever made!" is entirely possible, though. There's some that are just far too obscure... for instance on my own British Comics Wiki i've excluded all but the most famous small-press titles otherwise it'd get unfeasably big chronicling some 50-copies-printed fanzine from the 70's

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

I index for the GCD, as I've mentioned elsewhere. Indexing is currently suspended but the site itself is up and running with a new look. We are always looking for indexers, especially for our under-represented British comics. If anyone is interested in helping, you'll find details here:

http://docs.comics.org/wiki/Indexing

Indexing is due to restart sometime this month, fingers crossed.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have every issue of Joe 90 comic from the 1960s and was thinking I could index that. imagine my surprise when I just looked and found they have all 34 covers on GCD. Maybe I should dig out my Hoots instead.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

stevezodiac wrote:I have every issue of Joe 90 comic from the 1960s and was thinking I could index that. imagine my surprise when I just looked and found they have all 34 covers on GCD. Maybe I should dig out my Hoots instead.
Some of the covers are up, but the books have not actually been indexed, so you could still do that. We have loads more covers than indexes. I think indexing is due to begin again at the end of the month.

It does not follow that if the cover has been posted then the book has been indexed.

I've noticed an increase in British covers lately, which is nice to see.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Its just that I never see copies of the original 60s Joe 90 comic so figure they must be quite rare. To see every cover on one site means maybe somebody else has a full set (or, 60s tv spy style - they got into my storage unit and photographed them with one of those small cameras (sometimes in the handle of a brolly) that seemed to work in dim light without a flash). Perhaps not.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

stevezodiac wrote:I have every issue of Joe 90 comic from the 1960s and was thinking I could index that. imagine my surprise when I just looked and found they have all 34 covers on GCD. Maybe I should dig out my Hoots instead.
Whoops! You were right. I was mistakenly looking at the TV21 & Joe 90 listing (which is missing some covers) and not the Joe 90 listing.

Sorry about that.

I don't suppose you have the missing TV 21s?

Cheers.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yep I have every issue of TV21 & Joe 90. And carried on buying it after it joined with Valiant.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

The GCD went back online today for indexing, for anyone who is interested. Hope to see you there.

Cheers. Gordon.