Crikey: an update

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Crikey: an update

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:I think it's perfectly understandable that people might have started with later issues. The important thing is that we buy it from now on!
Agreed, Digi, but bearing in mind your interest in comics in general and your obsession with The Beano in particular, I cannot understand why you would not want to buy in the early issues. Many of these should still be available from Crikey! anyway, but failing that, eBay should be a rich vein to be mined. Issue 6, the special DC Thomson issue, should certainly be on your shopping list if you haven't already snapped it up, and bear in mind that, despite my inevitable purchase of each issue, it could well be that I will never find an article in any future issue that caters for my DCT story paper interests unless I write it myself. However, even if Tony were to print it, it would to a degree be defeating the object because I would have read it already.

PS :- Why is colcool's most recent post not showing up on this thread?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:...Why is colcool's most recent post not showing up on this thread?
It has disappeared into the ether. Bizarre. However, a quick recap. Enjoyed issue 14, but was disappointed with the article on small press comics. It felt more like an advert for the two mentioned and less like an article.

Why not expand it next time and look at best of the self-publishing comics?

Also is it me or is it rather spooky that the winner of the competition is a W Ritchie from Friockheim, Angus? Is Tony trying to tell us that Bill won and that we can expect a ghostly visit from Baby Crockett to pick up the prize.
Last edited by colcool007 on 30 Mar 2010, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baby Crockett
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:
Digifiend wrote:I think it's perfectly understandable that people might have started with later issues. The important thing is that we buy it from now on!
Agreed, Digi, but bearing in mind your interest in comics in general and your obsession with The Beano in particular, I cannot understand why you would not want to buy in the early issues. Many of these should still be available from Crikey! anyway, but failing that, eBay should be a rich vein to be mined. Issue 6, the special DC Thomson issue, should certainly be on your shopping list if you haven't already snapped it up, and bear in mind that, despite my inevitable purchase of each issue, it could well be that I will never find an article in any future issue that caters for my DCT story paper interests unless I write it myself. However, even if Tony were to print it, it would to a degree be defeating the object because I would have read it already.
I did buy 11 (the issue with the Euan Kerr interview) at the same time as 13. I'll try to get round to getting some of others eventually.

Colcool, the bottom of page missing post bug strikes again. It's visible when you post a reply, in the Topic review.
colcool wrote:Got mine yesterday and enjoyed the reading last night. However, I did spot something rather spooky. The winner of the comp is W Ritchie from Friockheim, Angus and that is the same village as Bill Ritchie retired to. You don't mean to tell us that Bill won and the book is being handed over to a ghostly Baby Crockett as we speak...

My thoughts on the articles were that they were informative, factual (couldn't see any glaring errors) and on the whole fun to read, but without dumbing down. I was a tad disappointed with the small press article, essentially an advert for two comics and little else. Come on, you can do better than that Tony!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:It's visible when you post a reply, in the Topic review.
That's how I knew it was missing, Digi. I had already read it.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
Digifiend wrote:It's visible when you post a reply, in the Topic review.
That's how I knew it was missing, Digi. I had already read it.
One for the suggestions box methinks
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

This bug's been there since last year. :(

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Picked up the new issue (15?) in Forbidden Planet today - a very nice surprise! Haven't had chance to read it yet but looks like another solid issue.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yes, issue 15 is out. I'm surprised it wasn't advertised in this thread. Oh well, thanks for the heads-up.
Here it is! The brand new Crikey!

Issue 15 is on sale NOW!

Not the cover you thought it would be carrying - advertised with a 'Dalek' cover, issue 15 now carries this outstanding artwork by the late 2000AD artist John Hicklenton - plus a tribute to John by none other than Pat Mills. We also learned of the sad passing of Peter (Modesty Blaise) O'Donnell and we asked Jody Kihara to write her thoughts on that... David Slinn continues his unique look at all things Eagle, veteran cartoonist Peter Maddocks is interviewed from his home in Malaga, John Devaney spooks us again with part two of his humorous 'Spooks' article and Captain Hurricane makes an appearance - and there's a lot more besides, plus the regulars!

Get your copy now!

See the subscription page for details!
http://www.crikeyuk.co.uk/ed.html

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

It wasn't advertised here because I've been having intermittent problems with my broadband which have restricted what i could do online-but thanks for drawing attention to it, chaps. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Crikey got mentioned in the latest Classics From the Comics! The web address was put on the new letters page, along with Down The Tubes. :)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Crikey got mentioned in the latest Classics From the Comics! The web address was put on the new letters page, along with Down The Tubes. :)
Garry and I have a bit of a reciprocal advertising thing going on-I've a dedicated thread for Classics on the Crikey forum. If any title deserves promoting, it's Classics, particularly since the revamp. It's gone from being an occasional treat to a must-read!