Crikey: an update

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: Crikey: an update

Post by tony ingram »

The 13th issue of Crikey! hits the shelves this week, in glorious...uh...black & white, but with a lovely colour section in the middle, which features that exclusive new Cloak strip I may've mentioned about four million times. Mike Higgs also discusses his career in 'The Cloak & I', and we also talk to Kevin O'Neill about his life in comics. Jody Kihara looks at the chaotic career of Tank Girl, the history of Marvel UK continues to unfold, and we conclude our look at the comic strip adventures of Doctor Who (though the daleks will be along next issue). Plus, a preview of forthcoming graphic novel Project: Luna, a review of Bryan Talbot's Grandville, more from 4D Jones and Hatch, Justin Marriott looks at 'Kids Rule OK' from 'Action', and...well, all the usual stuff, really. It should be in your local branch of Forbidden Planet International and various independent outlets tomorrow, if not today, or you can of course order direct from the website at www.crikeyuk.co.uk (or, indeed, direct from me, by asking). It's taken a bit longer than usual, but it's been worth it-honest, guv!

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Cheers Tony - mine arrived in the post this morning. That's my bedtime reading sorted for tonight :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Niblet, we must have the same postman as mine arrived today as well. Went straight for the Kids Rule OK! article and the typo I spotted made me chuckle "...Seven Hassel..". Now have an image of seven cloned "The Hoff"'s walking down the street in Magnificent Seven style meandering through my brain!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

NP

Post by NP »

Why is no-one else talking about the single most important event in comics in the last 40 years??
THE CLOAK- HE'S BACK!!
Thanks, guys, and Thank You to Mike too.
It's about time.
(Tee Hee)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

NP wrote:Why is no-one else talking about the single most important event in comics in the last 40 years??
THE CLOAK- HE'S BACK!!
It's about time.
(Tee Hee)

Yes, brilliant news! I received my copy of Crikey! yesterday too. Good interview with Kev O'Neill (I bet his comments will ruffle a few feathers of IPC comic fans) but The Cloak was of course the highlight of the issue.

Although it's not mentioned in the issue Mike Higgs did in fact revive The Cloak once before, in 1986, as a back up strip for my Brickman special published by Harrier Comics. In that five pager he depicted The Cloak as an older character, so I was pleased to see him tie that into the continuity of his latest strip even though there's no direct reference to the 1986 story for some reason.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
NP wrote:Why is no-one else talking about the single most important event in comics in the last 40 years??
THE CLOAK- HE'S BACK!!
It's about time.
(Tee Hee)

Yes, brilliant news! I received my copy of Crikey! yesterday too. Good interview with Kev O'Neill (I bet his comments will ruffle a few feathers of IPC comic fans) but The Cloak was of course the highlight of the issue.

Although it's not mentioned in the issue Mike Higgs did in fact revive The Cloak once before, in 1986, as a back up strip for my Brickman special published by Harrier Comics. In that five pager he depicted The Cloak as an older character, so I was pleased to see him tie that into the continuity of his latest strip even though there's no direct reference to the 1986 story for some reason.

Lew
I'm not sure why Mike didn't reference that one in his piece, either. I was completely unaweare of it at the time, but I doubt Mike would have forgotten it, and nothing was cut from what he wrote. But, as you say, the continuity hangs together and that's the main thing.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

The fourteenth issue of Crikey! will be on sale from Monday, and it includes a few features that may be of interest to some of you; I'll post full details later, but will just point out that this April marks the 60th anniversary of the Eagle... :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like I'll be paying Amazing Fantasy another visit this week then. :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

tony ingram wrote:The fourteenth issue of Crikey! will be on sale from Monday
Great news, Tony. I look forward to picking up a copy at my usual outlet, possibly a fortnight next Thursday, or maybe Friday, .........or whenever............. I console myself with the thought that I do at least have all previously published issues, unlike several other forum members who, in my opinion, really ought to be more supportive of your enterprise.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I know, but once I found a local stockist (as mentioned above Amazing Fantasy, which was only added to the stockist list on the Crikey website a couple of months ago) I started getting it. I'll probably pick up another back issue or two as well when I buy #14. Turned out they'd been selling it since at least issue #8.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I must admit I've bought issues from shops too but buying them directly from Crikey is best because then they get all the money.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix's problem wasn't people buying it from shops - he himself said he was going to his local stockist for it - but that there are people on this board who don't buy the magazine at all, or at least, don't have all the back issues. But that requires you to have known about the magazine when it first launched, be able to afford it, and have either a credit/debit card (for subscriptions) or somewhere local that sells it. I think it's perfectly understandable that people might have started with later issues. The important thing is that we buy it from now on!

Of course, an advantage of subscribing from our viewpoint is that you know when you'll get it. We've had a discussion before (when #13 came out) about how they aren't guaranteed to come out on the release date. I won't be complaining if AF doesn't have the new issue, I'll just try again a week later.

I see from the website that you're in Crikey! #14 Lew. There's a couple of Beano related features which will be of particular interest to me as well.
More details: http://www.crikeyuk.co.uk/ed.html

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote: I see from the website that you're in Crikey! #14 Lew.
Yes, I'm honoured to be interviewed for Crikey but unfortunately they didn't use many of the varied examples of my work I sent them, instead choosing to use my first crudely drawn cartoons from when I was starting out in the business and a cover I had nothing to do with. :roll: Not exactly a flattering representation of my career. I just hope readers and potential future editors judge those images in context, as the work of a young cartoonist, not as examples of what I can do now.

(The one Brickman page they used, from 2006, is a better representation of my style.)

Lew

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Forbidden Planet (International) in Manchester must have been selling this early - picked up my copy on Saturday. Was a nice surprise. (Also got this week's 2000AD a few days early from the newsagent near Piccadilly Gardens - it's like I travelled into the future! :lol: )

I do have every issue of Crikey, and am an ex-subscriber. However, times are tough, and now that it's more expensive to subscribe than it is to buy it from a shop (OK, by 6p, but still) I can't really justify £30 initial outlay when I can pay £4.99 as and when instead.

I've just cancelled all the US titles I subscribed to in an attempt to save money, but I won't be giving up Crikey.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote: I see from the website that you're in Crikey! #14 Lew.
Yes, I'm honoured to be interviewed for Crikey but unfortunately they didn't use many of the varied examples of my work I sent them, instead choosing to use my first crudely drawn cartoons from when I was starting out in the business and a cover I had nothing to do with. :roll: Not exactly a flattering representation of my career. I just hope readers and potential future editors judge those images in context, as the work of a young cartoonist, not as examples of what I can do now.

(The one Brickman page they used, from 2006, is a better representation of my style.)

Lew
OK: Already mentioned this direct to Lew, but just to set the record straight publicly as I've now seen the issue-there was a bit of a cock up here. The article in question was initially prepared before our move to colour, then redone with the scans Lew sent when we moved to colour. It looked rather nice, as I recall, and the original version should have been deleted. When we lost Borders and had to scale back, the colour version became unusable and an interim version was created from old B&W stuff while Glenn reworked it. It now appears that somehow the wrong draft of that piece worked its way in and the right draft got deleted. The Oink cover was there as a placeholder, basically. It shouldn't have been in the final draft, and neither should at least one or two other illustrations. Unfortunately, it appears we no longer have the scans we should have used. Sorry, Lew.