Cheeky Weekly blog

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Niblet

Cheeky Weekly blog

Post by Niblet »

My new Cheeky Weekly blog can be found here http://cheekyweekly.blogspot.com/. Please drop by and have a look around.

Lew Stringer

Re: Cheeky Weekly blog

Post by Lew Stringer »

Niblet wrote:My new Cheeky Weekly blog can be found here http://cheekyweekly.blogspot.com/. Please drop by and have a look around.

Nice work Niblet. I found it a bit unusual to see the table format used for a comic blog but it's an efficient way to display the info quickly.

Cheeky came out at the time I gave up buying humour comics for a couple of years (thought I was too old, then got back into them when I wanted to pursue it as a career), - so I'm looking forward to finding out what I missed! :)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

You are on my blog list...

8)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Cheeky Weekly was one of my weeklies which it makes it especially nice to read this and see the memory of the comic being kept alive.

If you're looking for suggestions for future entries, how about something on the adventure serials some time? It would be interesting to be reminded about the Creepy Sleepy Tales, too - and some of the old comics chosen for the reprint page when Cheeky was in the attic.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Thanks for the encouraging comments folks. The data in the tables is coming out of my comics database, I was planning another post today but I had to track down a bug in the code that loads the data. Fixed now.

I'm planning to post a review/analysis of each issue, but I'm far from being a comics expert so I'll need some help with a few details as time goes on, so all are welcome to drop by and lend a hand when I need it, if you're able.
Lew Stringer wrote:Cheeky came out at the time I gave up buying humour comics for a couple of years (thought I was too old, then got back into them when I wanted to pursue it as a career), - so I'm looking forward to finding out what I missed! :)
I was buying Cheeky (and a number of other comics) when it was originally published, after having given up buying any comics for some years - in fact I was in my early twenties when buying it.

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

I count Krazy and Cheeky as 'my comics'. Got some original Cheeky art (celebrating the comics first birthday) and some 12 1/2p Buytonic Boy too. Possibly another. I once saw a Birdman and Chicken. Didn't buy it and have regretted it ever since.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

chrissmillie wrote:Got some original Cheeky art (celebrating the comics first birthday) and some 12 1/2p Buytonic Boy too.
Wow! Excellent!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I like your observation on Cheeky the character...as you say he wasn't a smart alecy character and had weaknesses..

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Nice site Niblet. I remember Cheeky Weekly fondly, up to it's merger with Whoopee. :)

There was a page from old comic stories (eg. Film Fun) that Cheeky's dad had kept in the attic. I remember thinking how dated a story set in 1950 looked (then 27 years ago, in 1977-8).

"Yoof" today must look at old Cheeky stories (now over 30 years ago) and I imagine thinking how dated our old comics (I guess my nephews look on my brothers old comics that he still has with wonder). The one time I saw one of his boys pick up an old Whizzer & chips he said "Careful with that, it's very old!").

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Muffy wrote:Nice site Niblet. I remember Cheeky Weekly fondly, up to it's merger with Whoopee. :)

There was a page from old comic stories (eg. Film Fun) that Cheeky's dad had kept in the attic. I remember thinking how dated a story set in 1950 looked (then 27 years ago, in 1977-8).

"Yoof" today must look at old Cheeky stories (now over 30 years ago) and I imagine thinking how dated our old comics (I guess my nephews look on my brothers old comics that he still has with wonder). The one time I saw one of his boys pick up an old Whizzer & chips he said "Careful with that, it's very old!").
Cheeky didn't hide the date on those reprints, which is a good thing IMHO. They actually said that they were from Cheeky's dad's old comics, thus explaining why they looked so dated! They were making fun of themselves. It wouldn't work these days, as the 1940s monochrome Desperate Dan strips in the first issues of Dandy Xtreme proved. That didn't last very long, even without them admitting how old the strips actually were.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote: Cheeky didn't hide the date on those reprints, which is a good thing IMHO. They actually said that they were from Cheeky's dad's old comics, thus explaining why they looked so dated! They were making fun of themselves. It wouldn't work these days, as the 1940s monochrome Desperate Dan strips in the first issues of Dandy Xtreme proved. That didn't last very long, even without them admitting how old the strips actually were.
I understand those classic Dan strips were very popular but they wanted to move the character forward with a new look.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Your blog is sooo great..like the George and Mildred post well spotted... :)

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Glad you like the blog, Peter, there's loads more to come.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Is the delberate mistake by Frank on your new blog post..
the door handle is in the wrong place top corner?

Just been rereading my Whoopee and Cheeky's and love the movie masterpieces..they even did a Jaberwocky one with Cheeky and the gang..of course there were two pieman sellers..twiddle dum and twiddle dee..or something like that..need to dig that one out again..
its great seeing the characters in different roles or even shapes..animals..time periods..etc..

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Very detailed blog - nice work :)