The Buster Index

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

davey_r

The Buster Index

Post by davey_r »

Finally got round to getting a copy of the Buster Index by Steve Holland / Ray Moore, which has proved to be excellent so well done to them. One random point though - the pages seemed to be bound back to front. Ray's article on the History of Buster starts on the last page of the book, and you then have to work backwards through the book to read it. This article is followed on the 7th last page by Lew Stringer's forward to the book. The strip index then begins, working from section A near the end of the book to section E at the start of the book.
Is the book meant to be like this or have I got a rogue copy?

Still extremely pleased with the book in any event, though I'm still reeling from the fact that Buster once carried a "Bruce Forsyth" strip!

Kashgar
Guru

Re: The Buster Index

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Davey,

I'm pleased you liked the Buster Index but the pagination sequence you describe is certainly not as it was originally. To be truthful I've no idea who may be producing copies now. It's certainly a long time since Steve, Bryon Whitworth or myself had anything to do with it. Still, I hope it hasn't spoiled your enjoyment of the contents too much.

Regards,

Ray Moore (Kashgar)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Could be that a few copies were misprinted. I assume it has this cover?
Does The Book Palace make books as well as selling them? Their stock seems to be new instead of used, which is odd when, from what you're saying, it's supposed to be out of print (the authors ought to know who's printing it, and yet you don't).

davey_r

Post by davey_r »

Yes, that's the cover. I got the book from Book Palace and it appears to be in brand new, unused condition. I had assumed it was new old stock left over from the original run, though from what Ray says perhaps new copies are still being made.

Anyway, as I say the pages are all back to front and several pages are duplicated - thankfully none seem to be missing, the duplicated pages seem to appear in addition to rather than in place of other pages. So all the information is there and perfectly readable if you can get used to reading backwards, but if Book Palace have sold me a faulty product, having paid £20 I think I will request a replacement.

Talking of Ray's indexes (indices?), having got the Beano Diaries, Dandy Monster Index and Topper Tales, I'm quite desperate to get hold of the Book of the Beezer (Beezer being my favourite of the DC Thomson bunch). I've never seen it on Book Palace or anywhere else, does anyone have an hints on where it might be found or is it just a case of keep watching Ebay?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Regarding that cover, I feel I should mention that had I known of Ray's involvement when I was commissioned to design and draw it I would certainly have wanted to credit him. At the time I understood it was all written by Steve Holland, hence Ray's name being absent from the cover. Sorry Ray! (I think I apologized to you back then but if not I hope you accept this public apology.)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

davey_r wrote:I'm quite desperate to get hold of the Book of the Beezer (Beezer being my favourite of the DC Thomson bunch). I've never seen it on Book Palace or anywhere else, does anyone have an hints on where it might be found or is it just a case of keep watching Ebay?
This is the book you are looking for, davey. It certainly isn't an early printing because although the original was published by Bryon Whitworth's CJ Publications, this edition emerged after David Mirfin bought the business from him. I got my copy from the Book Palace several years ago but if they don't have one at the moment it might be worth your while trying a direct contact. His email address, as printed in this book, is dmirfin@qsf.com, and his address is CJ Publications, c/o 6 Rotherham Road, Catcliffe, ROTHERHAM, South Yorkshire, S60 5SW. A word of warning, it is unlikely to be cheap despite being a much slimmer volume than Ray's other books that you refer to in your post. Here are the front and rear covers of the book itself and the front of the white paper dustwrapper, which may or may not still be with the book if you were to stumble upon a copy in a second hand bookshop.

Regarding the Book Palace itself, they do seem to deal predominantly with new books, many of which are sourced in the States, but they do have a good number of second hand books and comics. The DC Thomson/IPC section is overseen by Robin Osborne, who used to trade as Flips Pages.
Attachments
bookofbeezerfront.jpg
bookofbeezerback.jpg
bookofbeezerwrapper.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Lew Stringer wrote:Regarding that cover, I feel I should mention that had I known of Ray's involvement when I was commissioned to design and draw it I would certainly have wanted to credit him. At the time I understood it was all written by Steve Holland, hence Ray's name being absent from the cover. Sorry Ray! (I think I apologized to you back then but if not I hope you accept this public apology.)
No need for an apology Lew but thanks all the same.