The Comic Archive - What's new

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: The Comic Archive - What's new

Post by blaing »

It's happening again (some websites who link to my blog not currently showing my latest post) :roll:

Currently on the blog, I have an episode of Money Talks from Whizzer and Chips here

and coming on Monday...

I will have a week of Smasher strips. (Update: I have decided to postpone the Smasher strips until next Monday (9/6/14).
Last edited by blaing on 18 Nov 2014, 07:26, edited 2 times in total.

blaing

Post by blaing »

on the blog ttoday...

I start my two part look at Buster in 1965 including the final issue before it's merger into the Big One (the issue on sale the week I was born), and part two coming tomorrow morning, which looks at the first post merge issue of Buster and the Big One.
Last edited by blaing on 07 Sep 2014, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Inspired by a recent post made on George Shiers' Wacky Comics blog about his collection, I decided to post a few photos from my collection here.
Last edited by blaing on 18 Nov 2014, 07:27, edited 2 times in total.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Coming to the blog tonight at 11:00 BST (or tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM AEST)
I'll be taking a look at comic merges and the myth that the dreaded "Great News inside" message appears in all comics. Plus I'll be looking at the final pre-merge issues of Cheeky Weekly and Whoopee! here
Last edited by blaing on 18 Nov 2014, 07:30, edited 2 times in total.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I hate full version WordPress updates. :x the new release version came out, and I cannot for the love of money log on.

The Comics Archive blog page will be temporarily unavailable until I can get things fixed up again.

blaing

Post by blaing »

the blog has a new address (and it now works too! :D )

for everyone who has linked to the blog previously, the address now is...

http://comicsblog.brucelaing.id.au/

I also have a post in the lead up to my look at Terry Bave with Willy Worry here...

http://comicsblog.brucelaing.id.au/willyworry
Last edited by blaing on 18 Nov 2014, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I assume the broken images in your earlier posts are related to the blog move.

The Main Site link at http://comics.brucelaing.id.au/ doesn't link to the main site (doesn't link anywhere in fact). Why does that "click here to go to the blog" page need to exist anyway? Just update the Comic Archive Blog link to link to the blog instead of that landing page and have that page redirect to it. This would also remove the need for people to update their bookmarks.

The new look blog is definitely an improvement over the old - you can now view multiple posts on a page. I notice you plan to change the background - is that why you haven't placed the banner at the top yet?

blaing

Post by blaing »

I have added a redirection to the site, so now, it will automatically go straight to the blog.

Seems that WordPress does not allow installation on the root directory of a subdomain or domain, which was the reason for the URL change.

With WordPress 4 came with the theme you now see on my blog (Twenty Fourteen), and I have added a tile in the background.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Another update. A few months agao, I relocated the graphics in the images subdomain, I made the relevant changes to the Beezer and Topper thread so that the graphics can be seen again, but I forgot to check here. This has now been fixed.

Also fixed was the links on this thread. I had to do this manually. I'm hoping now this will be the final problems I'll have for a long while. Fingers crossed.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Hi Bruce - I've changed the link on my site :) :up:
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

blaing

Post by blaing »

Recently added to the Comic Archive blog.

I have added a gallery of all (all that I have at the moment anyway :wink: ) of the covers of School Fun Here, here and here.

blaing

Post by blaing »

A change of pace for my blog.

I am currently going through a quiet period due to other commitments, but I won't be stopping altogether. I'll still post but it will be more of a case of once a week, maybe slightly longer.

I am also in the process of putting together a post on the eventual demise of the use of newsprint in comics and the transition to the format that we now know today.

It will concentrate on the humour titles, but I'll need help on the Boys' and Girls' comics when they made the transition. If you can help me out there, send me an eMail (it can be found at the bottom of this post. Thanks.

blaing

Post by blaing »

the Wordpress installation has screwed me up again. :censored: :censored: :censored: :evil:

As a result of this latest muck up, and after four years work, I regret to announce that the Comics Archive blog is now officially closed. :(

I'll try some other blogging software that my ISP has available, and there may be a slight chance the blog will return.

blaing

Post by blaing »

That was quick. Got it fixed properly (and on Wordpress too.) :D

Finally, I have the brand new address for the comics Archive Blog's new address. If you linked to the blog previously, the address is now...

http://comicsblog.brucelaing.id.au

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm having trouble leaving comments the puzzle doesn't show up after I've typed it to prove I'm not a robot..
Have been enjoying your blog.