TV Tornado

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

TV Tornado

Post by paw broon »

Not sure if you all know about this site but there are a few issues of TV Tornado to be read here:- http://bookscomics.blogspot.com/search/label/Robin
I have them for The Phantom. If this sort of download site isn't supposed to be on CUK. please delete it.

Digifiend

Re: TV Tornado

Post by Digifiend »

I know Lew Stringer won't approve. Check his reply to my post about The Beano Project.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Oh dear, I think I could be in the bad books. My question still stands, though and that is, if this, and some other links to sites I've found on this forum, are not acceptable, then the admin. can delete them, with, hopefully a quiet word to me and others who have posted links, to that effect. Don't want to cause anyone any problems.
While searching around on ebay for old comics is perfectly ok, it begs the question, who gets monetary benefit or recognition. Certainly not the creators - more the dealers who advertise the comics for sale. With old comics, I've always been unsure why scanning onto websites is so heinous and a dealer selling them is good business. Publishers and creators get nothing either way. And, yes, before anyone starts to tell me about copyright, I am well aware of it.
There are many Indian blogs, lots of which have Phantom comics for free download. These are English and Hindi Indrajal publications and KFS have asked some sites to stop hosting them. One blogger replied that if KFS were prepared to make the stories available in India, they'd take them off but if they wouldnt publish the Indian versions would remain online. I think that's fair. Publishers should either enable fans to buy their product or shut up. Don't know what will happen now that Hermes are issuing Phantom volumes. And in any case many Phans in the subcontinent want the Hindi versions. How are they going to find them? Online, of course.
There are many instances of publications listed in Previews which are not for sale ouside USA, and that is a form of censorship. And even though it's because of copyright restrictions, I can still go to a dealer and buy them, either in UK or have them shipped from the States.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Darn - These aren't compatible with my ancient Apple operating system! :(

Fortunately I've already got a complete run of TV Tornado, but I'd like to look at some of the Dan Barry Flash Gordon strips - not that it'd stop me from buying any decent print collections if King Features were to make them available! (sadly the Hermes volume I saw seemed rather poorly reproduced for the price).

- Phil R.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, that's how I feel about it. Although I have most of the Phantom stories in one form or another, it hasn't stopped me shelling out the sovs. for the Hermes books (vols. 1 & 2) There was a lot of discussion on the chronicle chamber forum when vol. 1 came out as there were obvious defects, particularly a split panel which Hermes said was the best they could find. Odd, then that the Pacific Comics Club versions from quite a few years ago, had a perfect version of the panel. Also, to my mind, the reproduction on the PCC issues was just as good . I think the Hermes editions are, perhaps, a bit dear and I've held off on vol.3.
I also note that Hermes are preparing to issue the G.K., King, Charlton Phantom comics in a h/b set of books. A punter would probably be cheaper going online and buying the back issues, if they aren't too bothered about condition. And they'd get that wonderful crappy paper the Charlton was infamous for.
By the way, I also have downloaded the Mandrake stories, in various forms - Indrajals and newspaper strips, because I can't find them in shops and the French versions don't seem to exist now. They were rather nice volumes.
Lee Falk was so good.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As King features have been syndicating this material all over the world for decades now it's hard to believe they haven't retained pristine copies of the original artwork. I really loved the Barry/Kurtzman episodes of Flash Gordon that Kitchen Sink put out a few years ago and have always wished they'd carried on with further volumes where that left off. Personally I much preferred the Barry version to the Mac Raboy Sundays that were serialized in Rocket and TV Tornado, and it's well known that legendary DC Comics editor Julius Schwartz instructed all his artists to model their work on Dan and his brother Sy during the 1950s.

- Phil R.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I didn't know the Schwartz story. I learn something new every day. You're probably right about Flash Gordon but Mac Raboy on Cap. Marvel Jr. is just great (and on the Green Lama). Any Phantom phan is, of course, aware of Sy Barry and while I enjoy his work, I prefer early Ray Moore and Don Newton. (some of the Aparo Charlton covers are excellent as well)
Some Indrajal Flash Gordon comics here:-
http://anupam-agrawal.blogspot.com/sear ... h%20Gordon
Might be worth your while having a look.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I agree 100% about Raboy's earlier comic-book work: absolutely fantastic! I think it's generally accepted that he was ill for most of the time he worked on Flash Gordon and that this showed in his art.

On artists of 'the Ghost Who walks' I remember that Phil Clarke arranged for a number of modern British artists to prepare a Phantom display in Birmingham a couple of years ago and I was particularly intrigued to see Hunt Emerson's interpretation! :)

- Phil R.