My Quest for Tammys

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Marionette

My Quest for Tammys

Post by Marionette »

I recently started a blog about my quest to collect every issue of Tammy.

For any that might be interested it can be found here:http://tammycomic.blogspot.co.uk/
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

helsbels

Re: My Quest for Tammys

Post by helsbels »

Nice one, Marionette - have just taken a look at your blog. Good luck with your quest and I'll keep following your blog with interest. I have a near complete Tammy collection, I need to replace a couple of the weekly issues (though I have them all) and I still have some Holiday Specials to get, but I have all the annuals plus the Bella's Book of Gymnastics 1981 which was a one- off Bella annual with Bella stories and articles about gymnastics (well, what else?).

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Any chance you could scan the cover of the first issue for me? Mine is very faded and I need a cover scan for the Grand Comics database.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

After considerable hiatus my Tammy blog is updated with a piece on Slaves of "War Orphan Farm". Fingers crossed more should follow shortly.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The title heading to this thread is one of the best-ever, Marrionette---an 'instant classic'.

My all time favourite thread title was by our own Peter Gray, and it was about Terry Bave-----fantastic, innocent charm, and I wish I had created it!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Hi Spy
Is the thread on Terry Bave on here or on my blog...or my old website on Terry Bave?
Glad you like it anyway...

I always liked the thread on topper and Beezer wide screen you did...hope it will come back one day...also enjoying the nursery comic threads more recent..

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Peter Gray wrote:Hi Spy
:lol: Nice one, Peter. I love it. :lol:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's an excellent overview of 'Slaves of War Orphan Farm' Mari. Informative too - I had no idea it was drawn by veteran Dan Dare artist Desmond Walduck!

It seems to me that there really ought to be a psychological term for the kind of vicarious sadism whereby a writer seems to take unusual pleasure from inflicting pain and suffering upon a fictional character. One particularly cruel twist that I recently noticed while reading 'The School for Unwanted Ones' in Bunty is the technique of allowing a downtrodden heroine to finally reach the saviour she's been searching for throughout the series - in this case her own mother - only to face the ultimate betrayal when she too coldly rejects her! Thus, just when you think you've reached rock bottom, the whole ceiling comes crashing down upon your head! :?

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Lovely set, Phil---so oozing with multilayered detail...a treat.

PETER, this next link reveals my own personal favourite title heading within this fine forum.

You composed the title in all innocence, which adds to it's great charm, and I'm sure that Terry himself would see the amusing side of this one!

Fantastic topic title, the greatest-ever, unforgettable :

http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... ve+is+dead

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

To Spy :oops: :oops: :oops: :wave:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything, Peter-----I honestly believe this was the best topic-title ever on here---wish I had done it!!!

even just thinking of Peter's title chases away the Monday morning blues, and warms the cockles of my heart, such is it's power to entertain.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Another update! That's two in two weeks (almost)! A few more like that and it may be a thing.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

And yet another! With an essay on Betina at Ballet school that got away from me a bit to be slightly more epic length than I'd intended when I started out.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

This is almost certainly a thing now. New blog post on Tammy's Dawn and Kerry Double for Trouble.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Marionette wrote:This is almost certainly a thing now.
Have you ever considered compiling a book, Marionette, organised round your blog post story summaries? Being a perceptive and critical reader, and also articulate, you would seem perfectly capable of writing one. It would need to be themed in some way, and to incorporate as well serials from girls' papers other than Tammy, but it would, in my opinion, be more substantial and thorough than Susan Brewer's The History Of Girls' Comics which, while actually very interesting, inevitably falls between several stools by trying to tell us everything there is to know about every single comic.